Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing the beast shell question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing the beast shell question.

I was looking at the video on installing the beast shell and it says you should grind down the lo/rev clutch race tabs by about .035 to achieve the proper clearance. THe stock shell has a tab clearance of about .060 and the beast 0.025. However, I have never read this recommondation in all of my searches and a clearance of 0.025 seems reasonable. Should I grind down the race tabs to achieve a 0.060 clearance?
Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say this but buy another part. I broke it when my car had 380hp to the wheels. Alot of the companies now are making their own.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

I would recommend the Sonnax Smart Shell. Here are two threads I posted on it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...art-shell.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-hp-4l60e.html

I now see that sponsor FLT is also using it in all their transmission, as are many (most?) other performance builders.

As I mentioned in my threads, besides being stronger, it removes potentially damaging load on the small torrington bearing in the lower planetary.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Thank for the information. I have already bought the beast and it is stronger than the stock sun shell, so I am going to use it. The question I have is whether the clearance issue contributed to the beast failure. The video implied that without the increase clearances, that metal on the beast would grind with the race tabs. Therefore, should I grind the tabs down to achieve the 0.060 clearance seen with the OEM shell.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Looking at the pictures I took in my thread above, I see plenty of gap between the Beast sunshell and the race below it. The Beast is thicker, and I would expect this to be accounted for by a thinner selective washer on the input drum.

Since I have not assembled an entire trans with The Beast, I hope one of the experience builders can correct or confirm this. Also, I recall a recent post where the OP said his Beast came with a thinner plastic washer that rides between it and the race. (Mine also came with its own washer.)

Correction: I now see that I misunderstood your question - you are not talking about the gap in my picture but the lugs on the inside
of the race to accommodate the thicker material around the OD of the splined area of The Beast. (CarsonAuto explained it to me.)

Last edited by mrvedit; 04-02-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put in hundreds of those before switching to the sonnax smart shells and have had quite a few of them back apart again for various reasons. I have never seen one rub on anything and have also never had one fail and we have had them in some pretty extreme applications. Put it together and run it!! Dont think twice about it!!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear from someone like yourself who has a great deal of experience.
John

Quick Reply: Installing the beast shell question.