Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 4l60e codes/problems! help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04 4l60e codes/problems! help!!!!!!

Ok my transmission is shooting me a bunch of codes. It won't shift out of first. So far first and reverse are the only gears that work. Here are the codes

P0758 shift/solenoid B electrical
P0740 torque converter clutch solenoid circuit/open
P0753 shift solenoid A electrical
P0785 shift/timing solenoid malfunction
P2761 torque converter clutch pressure control solenoid control circuit/open

So far I can't locate a diagram that shows where the wires are supposed to go in the pcm. I found one before but I can't locate it now. My wires are as follows

from the plug:
A. Lt green
B. Yellow/black
C. Red/black
D. Lt blue/white
E. Orange
L. Yellow/black
M. Gray
N. Pink
P. Red
R. Blue
S. White
T. Tan/black
U. Brown

This is how the wires plug into my pcm:

Green connector
48. lt green
47. Yellow/black
42. Tan/black
8. Lt blue/white
7. Red/black
51. Yellow/black
2. Brown

Blue connector

78. White
18. Red
17. Blue
53. Gray

Now when I removed the connectors I noticed pin E on the trans plug was connected to the fuse block and pin N wasn't connected at all. The harness was built for my project and before I installed it into my truck there werent any codes showing. Could someone tell me how to wire my transmission correctly? Do I have something wrong with how they're being plugged into the pcm? I know the pcm was programmed to be stand alone and to operate the 4l60e and the harness was built locally. I actually purchased a new plug off eBay with the pigtail and I'm going to use that plug to the existing harness already pinned into the pcm. Where do I stick pin E and N also?

Last edited by vroque210; 04-06-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: this is my last hurdle for my project!!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 397 Likes on 304 Posts

I have the pinouts for a 2004 GTO with Green and Blue connectors.

Plug E is +12V and should go to the fusebox.
Plug S should go to Blue #79, not #78
The other Blue look correct.
I think:
Plug N should go to Green #63.
Plug C should go to Green #6
Plug D should go to Green #8

Hmm, your green doesn't agree with a 2004 GTO; but I doubt truck is completely different.
Sorry, its late, I will study it more tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

See that's where I'm confused. There were a couple of pins that didn't match up to the diagram I found a while back but I didn't know how to go about re pinning them. When I had the computer reprogrammed I know the guy said to get a certain type of pcm to use the drive by wire setup. Not sure if that makes a difference with the trans. Any chance that the pins were reprogrammed for those slots? I know you can use certain pin slots to operate different components but would operating the trans be significantly different from other pcms like this? Any help will be appreciated thanks!!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM

I have now examined the PCM pin-outs for F-Body '99 thru '02, Corvette '97 thru '05, Truck '99 thru '04 and GTO '04. With tiny exceptions, they follow this pinout:

4L60E
-----
Pin A 1-2 Shift Solen -> Green #48 (or Red)
Pin B 2-3 Shift Solen -> Green #47
Pin C Pressure Control -> Green #6
Pin D Pressure Control -> Green #8
Pin E +12V -> Fuse Box
Pin L Temp Sensor -> Green #51
Pin M Temp Sensor -> Blue #53
Pin N Pressure Switch -> Green #63
Pin P Pressure Switch -> Blue #18
Pin R Pressure Switch -> Blue #17
Pin S 3-2 Solenoid -> Blue #79
Pin T TCC Solenoid -> Green #42
Pin U TCC Feel Solenoid -> Green #2

In other words the AT pins are the same on the Green and Red connectors.
Exceptions that I noticed:

Truck '99 thru '03 => Blue #53 goes to Fuel tank, not AT

--------------------

No, the pins cannot be re-programmed.

I'm confident that if you pin it as above, the trans will work properly and there will be no trans codes.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

So now I'm starting to think there's either a pcm problem or an internal trans problem. I wired everything from above and I'm still showing these codes,

P0758 shift solenoid b electrical
P0740 tcc solenoid circuit/ open
P0753 shift solenoid A electrical
P0758 shift/timing solenoid malfunction
P2761 tcc pressure control solenoid control circuit/ open

I repinned N to green 63 and pin S to blue 79. I wired in the new connector I purchased and made sure all the wires went to the right pins on both the tranny plug and to the pcm pins and triple double checked them all before buttoning everything back up.

Do I have a problem in the trans internal harness or solenoids???
Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

I also erased the codes before starting the engine and these ones still showed.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

On lt1swap.com I found the harness pinouts that specify which ones are needed to run stand alone. I noticed that my blue #33 pin to the tcc brake release or what ever isn't pinned to anything either. Do I need this to be plugged to something since that website says its required and if so where do I plug it into??? Sorry for all the questions but I'm starting to get discouraged about my swap. This the last thing I need done and its kicking my ***!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM

I would be a bit careful about any info on lt1tech.com that applies to pre'98 PCMs as they can be quite different.
Have you tested that you have good +12V going to the trans? Make sure the fuse isn't blown.
You really should hook up the Blue #33 to your brake switch to ensure the TCC releases when you hit the breaks. However, this is not affecting your immediate problem.
If it was me, I would drop the pan and hook a volt meter up to each solenoid to make sure it has +12volts with the ignition on. I'm sure you know now that the PCM connects the other side of each solenoid to ground to enable it.

Don't be discourages, its something simple. Perhaps the connector isn't pushed in all the way, the internal harness has a break or the +12V is missing to the trans.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Wow!! I just realized the fuse was blown on the power supplying wire for the trans. I can't start it tonight cause its too late and I don't have exhaust on at the moment. Lol. Hopefully for sure tomorrow ill be able to start it and it won't have any codes!!! Ill keep you informed thanks a lot.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I started my s10 up today and to my surprise everything worked out the way its supposed to!!!!! Getting everything else ready to tear the streets up now!!!! Thanks a whole lot mrvedit for helping me. I hope to get into the drag strip and post some times hopefully!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by vroque210
Ok so I started my s10 up today and to my surprise everything worked out the way its supposed to!!!!! Getting everything else ready to tear the streets up now!!!! Thanks a whole lot mrvedit for helping me. I hope to get into the drag strip and post some times hopefully!!!
You are welcome. I'm not sure how much I helped, if any, but I learned a lot and got to study/document the pinouts once and for all.

Ted.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

No you gave me some good info. I have a couple of codes still to deal with but that should be the jist of my build
Old 05-15-2016, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,220 Likes on 784 Posts

Resurrecting a dead thread. Mrvedit thanks for talking with me this afternoon, i apprexiate every bit of your time. I'm just wondering how to check the pins with a volt meter. If I want to see if the pcm is grounding the solenoid like it should, I hook one lead of my multimeter to the pcm pin I want to test, where do I place my second lead? Do I check it across the pin E, or do I check it to chassis ground? I don't have a tranny scanner and want to see when (or if) the solenoids are activated by the pcm.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 PM

As I tried to explain over the phone, if you put the volt meter across the pins of a shift solenoid, then you will read:
12V when the solenoid is ON (Volt meter between the solenoid pins)
0V when the solenoid is OFF

Alternatively, once you identify which solenoid pin is always tied to +12V , then you can measure the other (control) pin either at the solenoid or at the PCM. Measure that to Ground:

12V when the solenoid is OFF (Volt meter between solenoid control pin/wire and Ground)
0V when the solenoid is ON

To summarize, a single +12V (red wire) goes to all the solenoids in the transmission. To enable a solenoid, the PCM then pulls the control wire to Ground.
To disable a solenoid, the PCM basically "floats" the control wire, like it were disconnected. Therefore, when a shift solenoid is OFF, both pins of the solenoid are at the same voltage of 12V (assuming ignition is ON).
When a shift solenoid is ON, the 12V pin is still at 12V course, but the other pin is at 0V.

Note: This only applies to the shift solenoids and the TCC On/Off solenoid. The EPS, 3-2 downshift and TCC Feel solenoids work differently, although 12V still goes to each of them.

The following electrical diagram helps understand how the solenoids are wired:

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/wiring.html
Old 05-20-2016, 06:31 PM

had the same problem one time same dtc changed the ignition switch and fixed the problem right away

Quick Reply: 04 4l60e codes/problems! help!!!!!!