Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 to 4l80e Manual Control ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default M6 to 4l80e Manual Control ?

I really hate to ask what I know to be a simple question on here, but I have read through about 80+ threads on 4l80e swaps and have only found what I think to be contradictory information. I just bought a rebuilt 4l80e that had a Transgo shift kit installed in it (for the previous owners truck which was automatically controlled). I now want to use this in a 'manual' configuration.

Are there different ways to setup the Transgo shift kit for manual or automatic operation? Do I need to tear it apart and change anything inside the transmission, or do I just need to buy something like the $200 Jakes manual controller? If I do need just the box, what exactly is it doing?

I'm 90% sure I just need the manual control box, but it's confusing to me because 'manual valve body' seems to imply internal changes to the valve body are required....

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so I was about 90% sure that manually running a 4l80e requires only the cheap-ish manual conversion box.

But then I'll stumble across threads like the following:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...onversion.html

The 2nd and 3rd post imply that you have to modify the valve body for manual operation using a full-manual conversion kit.

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
Also... you have to do a LOT of mods with the Trans Go full manual kit. For example... there is now a freeze plug where my wiring plug used to be on the trans. I can see it being a bitch to put everything back [for automatic operation], plus like said above, you would need a new valve body [if converting back to automatic operation].
So which is it - Extensive internal mods or 'hooking up some wires to a small black box'?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The transgo website and tech support are good spots for the info.

But if you have an hd2 kit installed you have full auto and manual operation as an option. The hd3 is full manual only, so you will not be able to change back.

I have a hd3 modded valvebody if your interested. I went back to a hd2 so the computer can run it.

Quick Reply: M6 to 4l80e Manual Control ?