Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e manuel shift/auto conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Default 4l80e manuel shift/auto conversion

im going to build my 4l80e this winter, was going to make it manuel shift first so i dont have to buy a $1000 computer, then if i switch to fuel inj later,
switch the trans back to computer control-not sure what all is in the transgo kit, but can it be switched back to auto, or are some perm mods needed to make it manuel-im guessing just valve body mods, nothing internal
anyone done this-thanks
im running a carb now and turbo 400
Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

It can be converter back but it will require a new VB. If you want automatic, save your $$ and do it once.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having some problems out of my full manual 4l80. The TCI controller is only like $600-700. I ended up having more money in the full manual kit plus paying someone to install it, than if i would have just bought the TCI controller.

Also... you have to do a LOT of mods with the Trans Go full manual kit. For example... there is now a freeze plug where my wiring plug used to be on the trans. I can see it being a bitch to put eveything back, plus like said above, you would need a new valve body.

Another consideration is you will no longer have lockup. I know there are ways around that, but the trans-go kit doesn't even mention it, and its hard to find info on it.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks for the replys-i prob will scrap the manuel idea-i didnt want to buy one computer for the trans, and then another one for the engine if i switched to FI (i run a carb and procharger now) would be neat if i could run a modified factory computer now for the trans, and use the same one if FI
later with a reprogram
Santa Clause came a little early this year, so i may just do the trans first, using a computer, then if i go FI, deal with that at that time
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh, I have the manual in mine and still have lock up. You won't find it in the instructions, but if you call transgo, they will tell you lock up will still work in 3rd and OD.
You won't be using any wiring except the lock up solenoid. Still have the wiring harness on the side of the trans, just apply 12v to one side of the lockup solenoid and ground the other. I was worried I wouldn't like it, but its kinda the best of both worlds. I just like to shift gears instead of just put it in D.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

transgo had told me the same thing
Old 10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Firechikn
Uh, I have the manual in mine and still have lock up. You won't find it in the instructions, but if you call transgo, they will tell you lock up will still work in 3rd and OD.
You won't be using any wiring except the lock up solenoid. Still have the wiring harness on the side of the trans, just apply 12v to one side of the lockup solenoid and ground the other. I was worried I wouldn't like it, but its kinda the best of both worlds. I just like to shift gears instead of just put it in D.
Does it up shift and down shift without any issues? I have spoken to 3 poeple that have tried to go 4L80 w/ mvb and all three had issues with it.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Does it up shift and down shift without any issues? I have spoken to 3 poeple that have tried to go 4L80 w/ mvb and all three had issues with it.
Seems like before i actually did mine, and was just in the research phase, i heard nothing but good about it.

Once i decided to go with it, and had a bunch of problems also, i started hearing all these things.

You are going to pay almost 300 for the kit, then have to pay someone to install the kit (its a LOT of stuff, i had to pay almost that much again just to have it put in the valve body)

When everything is said and done, unless you plan on doing all the valve body modifications yourself, you are looking at comparable money as the TCI Controller.

This is just my personal experience. I have a 418 car that is undrivable right now, because im having so many problems with it, and am out of money for the year
Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

I've built several of the full manual 4L80E's and haven't had issue with them. The kit from TransGo is one method to go full manual, and it works well, but it is fairly complicated as far as VB kits go. If you foul up the instructions, you will have issues.

However when installed correctly they operate excellent. Positive upshifts and downshifts.

I've been playing with the hydraulics and trying to come up with a transbrake with full manual. I have some testing to do, but I think I'm there. The question will be the release time of it.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

The guys that made the megasquirt fuel injection stuff now have a board/software out that can do manual shifting on the computer controlled autos now, might be worth checking out.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thought I would post the link http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/index.html
Old 10-19-2008, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Any way to integrate their controller with the factory ECU? I am looking to go auto on my 06 GTO and am wondering about controlling everything. I would like to control the trans seperately rather then reflashing the stock ecu and adding a TCM in case i decide to go back to the 6 speed in the future.

Quick Reply: 4l80e manuel shift/auto conversion