Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suddenly lost 4th gear 4L80E

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suddenly lost 4th gear 4L80E

Something weird couple of days ago, I lost 4th gear all of a sudden. Not during or after racing, just one morning going to work I realized I have no 4th gear.
All other gears are fine. Fluid looks nice and clear, level is right at the max.
What can I do to at least diagnose the problem?
Tranny is built 4L80E
HELP!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Teching In

could possibly be a shift solenoid, i dont know too much about automatics but that would be my first guess. good luck man
Old 07-04-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Noticed interesting thing tonight. Cruising at 40 mph with converter unlocked, if I move shifter from D to 3rd, I can feel the car is holding back very very slightly, like it indeed shifts from 4th to 3rd. If shift back to D at that same speed, I can feel nothing but revs drop very very slightly, 50-100rpm at most. Like there is 4th but it's ratio is almost the same as in 3rd gear.
Do these symptoms provide any clue?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
Noticed interesting thing tonight. Cruising at 40 mph with converter unlocked, if I move shifter from D to 3rd, I can feel the car is holding back very very slightly, like it indeed shifts from 4th to 3rd. If shift back to D at that same speed, I can feel nothing but revs drop very very slightly, 50-100rpm at most. Like there is 4th but it's ratio is almost the same as in 3rd gear.
Do these symptoms provide any clue?
You are probably feeling the overrun clutches come on and engine braking occur.

Check shifter cable adjustment closely, if it's not completely in 4th, it may not open D4 oil to the shift valve, if it's partially in neutral it will cause clutch failure.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
You are probably feeling the overrun clutches come on and engine braking occur.

Check shifter cable adjustment closely, if it's not completely in 4th, it may not open D4 oil to the shift valve, if it's partially in neutral it will cause clutch failure.
At least it feels very much like engine braking on manual when I shift to 3rd. I have custom shifter from BMW such that it stays where the gearbox wants it to be, it's not fixed by lever. But I will check again.
Today when I came to work, I couldn't put it in Park... Also never happened before
Thank you for your hints, Jake!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:58 AM
FormerVendor

Today when I came to work, I couldn't put it in Park... Also never happened before
THAT sounds like a shifter linkage issue for sure. If it's not external to the trans, drop the pan and look at the nut on the shifter shaft, if it's loose, it may cause it to do both of your problems. Check the shifter cable first though. If the cable is able to deflect, it will cause the exact issues you're having.

While the pan is off, look at the OD clutches, they are in the front and partially visible. If they are cooked, they will be black.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

THAT sounds like a shifter linkage issue for sure. If it's not external to the trans, drop the pan and look at the nut on the shifter shaft, if it's loose, it may cause it to do both of your problems. Check the shifter cable first though. If the cable is able to deflect, it will cause the exact issues you're having.

While the pan is off, look at the OD clutches, they are in the front and partially visible. If they are cooked, they will be black.
Took off the pan. Unfortunately I couldn't see anything was wrong. Nut on the shifter shaft was tight. Clutches look fine to me (see pic).
I forced it into Park with a bit more strength and now it goes into P just like before, with normal resistance. I was hoping smth. just got out and now it was magically fixed, so I put pan back on, but unfortunately 4th gear didn't come back...
Any further ideas?..
Attached Thumbnails Suddenly lost 4th gear 4L80E-photo-7-sm.jpg   Suddenly lost 4th gear 4L80E-photo-6-sm.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Teching In

check the manifold pressure switch thats probley going to be the issue if you do not have any codes and nothing is burnt up
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

manifold pressure switch? are you sure it has any effect on 4L80E ?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a bit frustrated since in 4 days I have to go to track 150 miles away, that would be very frustrating to do without 4th gear...
Is there anything else I could check?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

I'm a bit frustrated since in 4 days I have to go to track 150 miles away, that would be very frustrating to do without 4th gear...
Is there anything else I could check?
You can check the 3-4 shift valve for freedom of movement but it will require dropping the valve body.

If you do so, air check the 4th clutches, there is a bolt in the center of the case, towards the front that you blow air into the orifice in the center and it will apply the 4th clutches.

The 4th gear circuit is fairly simple, the A solenoid is turned on, it moves the 3-4 shift valve, opening PRND4 oil to the 4th apply circuit, which goes straight to the bolt mentioned above.

If you have 1st gear electronically controlled, that tells us the A solenoid is functioning, as well as all the wiring from the PCM to it.

Loss of overdrive in a case like yours sounds like a pending code shutting OD off and probably ramping up the pressure. I've seen o2 sensor codes do this, other engine codes. If the PCM sees erroneous data from the pressure switch it can cause it too.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can check the 3-4 shift valve for freedom of movement but it will require dropping the valve body.

If you do so, air check the 4th clutches, there is a bolt in the center of the case, towards the front that you blow air into the orifice in the center and it will apply the 4th clutches.

The 4th gear circuit is fairly simple, the A solenoid is turned on, it moves the 3-4 shift valve, opening PRND4 oil to the 4th apply circuit, which goes straight to the bolt mentioned above.

If you have 1st gear electronically controlled, that tells us the A solenoid is functioning, as well as all the wiring from the PCM to it.

Loss of overdrive in a case like yours sounds like a pending code shutting OD off and probably ramping up the pressure. I've seen o2 sensor codes do this, other engine codes. If the PCM sees erroneous data from the pressure switch it can cause it too.
I will try to sum it up a bit for myself.
1) We have 2 possible suspects, PCM not engaging OD, and 3-4 valve died/clogged, right? If 1st gear is OK that means solenoid A along with it's wiring is fine.
2) if that would be PCM, could we rule this out by manually supplying ground to solenoid A?
3) if that is 3-4 valve, to check it, I must take off valve body, which can be done without removing gearbox, right?

1 more fact: the night before the problem occured, I was starting the engine for like 20-30 times while checking voltage drops, could that fry something?

Last edited by Vetal; 07-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should I try to forcibly ground both solenoids, to try to engage 4th gear? Or is it the same as commanding 4th from the scanner, so it won't help?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 PM
FormerVendor

Should I try to forcibly ground both solenoids, to try to engage 4th gear? Or is it the same as commanding 4th from the scanner, so it won't help?
Yes, forcibly ground both sols and you should have 4th.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK bad news for me. Manually grounding solenoid does not engage OD...
So, what can I do now to diagnose?
I can't stop wondering how Park was impossible to engage just couple of days after 4th gear loss...
Help!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Pull the valve body and check the 3-4 shift valve.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much time should it take?
If I have to do 300 mile trip, can I do it in Drive, would it harm anything? Or better in 3rd?
edit: I assume I will be able to find and use general 4L80E guidelines to remove valve body and find 3-4 valve?

Last edited by Vetal; 07-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stupid question, but can I turn tranny upside down to remove valve body? There are some ***** that could fall out? Tranny now sits at the floor, so would be 1000x easier to remove valve body with oil pan facing up
Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Yes you can turn it over to remove the valve body.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've finally removed valve body. With it on the table, can I just supply 0V and +12V to them to see if they move and shift valve move with them?

Quick Reply: Suddenly lost 4th gear 4L80E