Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter install, need help deciding which shop...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by high impact
Impossible to make a recommendation based on price alone. Without knowing warranty, reputation, names of shops, etc...any guess is just a crapshoot. Seriously, pick up a slightly used converter here and there is no need for a deep pan or shift kit if you are on a tight budget. High price doesn't automatically mean quality but on the other hand low price doesn't mean inferior.
Do not buy used converters.

The price for a brand new converter (unless you are dead set on over spending) is not much more, if any in some cases, than a used converter. You take a pretty large gamble with used converters.
Remember this, the converter goes.... Your transmission goes.

Originally Posted by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28
I'm not looking for which reputable shop to take it to in terms of warranty, names etc. They are both good reputable shops. My question is should I take the $600 hit and take it to the place that will do a shift kit for me or is the shift kit really that necessary saving $600. From what I'm reading it doesn't seem like it so I will end up taking it to A. I will take the deep pan off if it isn't necessary. I'm not a tight budget, I just want to make sure it gets done right.

Thanks for all the replies.
I seem to be getting ignored.... But I'll keep asking questions because I probably have a better idea than most posting in here. Just humor me...

So... You *need* a billet cover for.... Safety? Reliability? Whatever reason it is you are justifying spending an extra 300+$ on a converter.... But you take the deep pan off?

I wouldn't do the shift kit... But I also am a crazy that doesn't recommend a billet cover for every application without knowing what I'm talking about. Wait, what?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've read all to many times of people going cheap on TC's end up taking their transmissions out. When I buy something, I want it to last a long time. So if that means paying an extra $200 for a billet front end, I'll take that.
I'm on the computer now so can type a bit more.

Please explain to me how a billet front cover will make the converter last longer for your application.

Don't waste time searching.... You are just going to prove me right and I already know the answer.

Billet covers is a marketing thing.... Yank uses it more than anyone.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess i never really read into whether I *need* the Billet. It's more so I've read about three good converter makers on here, and to stick to them. Yank, Circle D, and Vigilante. Two of those Yank and Vigilante happen to be the ones the shop sells. (They have TCI, but I can say I know enough not buy those lol) And I've read on here how people have been happy with Yank and specifically the SS series. IIRC in the TC education sticky, they claim that the Billet allows them to have a larger clutch apply area.

Circle D in the sticky

"The second part is durability, which is why this tread was started. A durable converter will use a billet front cover. It prevents flexing and allows a larger clutch area. A larger piston, I use a billet one. Furnace brazed pump and turbine. Turbine Hub and Hub made from a high grade steel. Torrington bearings on both sides of stator and I prefer to use a 3rd bearing between the turbine and front cover. "

Now yes I understand they could be using the Billet as advertising if it's not really needed.

Also the company you posted earlier, PTC, I went to there site and searched and could not seem to find any information on a warranty or restall. If you have any information on a warranty or restall they offer, please show me.

I do however, after finding a thread talking about PTC, am interested in them now.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess i never really read into whether I *need* the Billet. It's more so I've read about three good converter makers on here, and to stick to them. Yank, Circle D, and Vigilante. Two of those Yank and Vigilante happen to be the ones the shop sells. (They have TCI, but I can say I know enough not buy those lol) And I've read on here how people have been happy with Yank and specifically the SS series. IIRC in the TC education sticky, they claim that the Billet allows them to have a larger clutch apply area.

Circle D in the sticky

"The second part is durability, which is why this tread was started. A durable converter will use a billet front cover. It prevents flexing and allows a larger clutch area. A larger piston, I use a billet one. Furnace brazed pump and turbine. Turbine Hub and Hub made from a high grade steel. Torrington bearings on both sides of stator and I prefer to use a 3rd bearing between the turbine and front cover. "

Now yes I understand they could be using the Billet as advertising if it's not really needed.

Also the company you posted earlier, PTC, I went to there site and searched and could not seem to find any information on a warranty or restall. If you have any information on a warranty or restall they offer, please show me.

I do however, after finding a thread talking about PTC, am interested in them now.
Nobody does, they just follow like a sheep and keep over paying. Again, there are people making 2000Rwhp and not using billet covers... Doesn't that make you kind of wonder?

Are you going to lock the converter at WOT? No. Then don't spend your money on it. You don't need it.

Of course you hear of Yank/Circle D/Vig on here preached like it is the only 3 converter companies in the world. Every once in a while FTI/PTC get thrown in there but it is rare unless me or a few others catch the thread.
Outside of ls1tech world, Vig is by far the most used between those three you listed but still not highly preferred. PTC blows all three of them out of the water. They make a better converter, period. After that I would look to FTI out of the mentioned (and if you want to stay with a sponsor).
I'm sorry, but anybody trying to sell you a billet front is taking your money.

Not to mention you will be getting the same SS3600 the other 400 guys are running. Do you not want one built for your needs/goals?

Don't use their site, call them directly. Ask for Lane. And to verify, it is PTC based out of Alabama.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Nobody does, they just follow like a sheep and keep over paying. Again, there are people making 2000Rwhp and not using billet covers... Doesn't that make you kind of wonder?

Are you going to lock the converter at WOT? No. Then don't spend your money on it. You don't need it.

Of course you hear of Yank/Circle D/Vig on here preached like it is the only 3 converter companies in the world. Every once in a while FTI/PTC get thrown in there but it is rare unless me or a few others catch the thread.
Outside of ls1tech world, Vig is by far the most used between those three you listed but still not highly preferred. PTC blows all three of them out of the water. They make a better converter, period. After that I would look to FTI out of the mentioned (and if you want to stay with a sponsor).
I'm sorry, but anybody trying to sell you a billet front is taking your money.

Not to mention you will be getting the same SS3600 the other 400 guys are running. Do you not want one built for your needs/goals?

Don't use their site, call them directly. Ask for Lane. And to verify, it is PTC based out of Alabama.
Ya it was the PTC out of Alabama. So is the Billet offering the larger lockup clutch have any truth to it? Or do they just say that to justify the Billet on a street car and people like the idea of more?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Listen to Lemons, he gives sound advice. I had my Yank SS3600 redone by Circle D into a 2E. I felt the Yank was decent but wasn't giving me the performance I wanted. 60fts were higher than I wanted and it seemed like it didn't pull as hard from a roll.

I was going to go PTC but no one wanted to buy my used Yank and I didn't want to put the $300 into it for a cut, clean and restall just to sell it.

If I ever buy another auto car it'll get a PTC solely because of Lemons.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Listen to Lemons, he gives sound advice. I had my Yank SS3600 redone by Circle D into a 2E. I felt the Yank was decent but wasn't giving me the performance I wanted. 60fts were higher than I wanted and it seemed like it didn't pull as hard from a roll.

I was going to go PTC but no one wanted to buy my used Yank and I didn't want to put the $300 into it for a cut, clean and restall just to sell it.

Thanks for the input. Your not the only one I've read about who said it didn't have that much of a profound difference. I want one where I can know its locked up and pulls hard. I probably am going to switch TC. I've emailed PTC about info on one.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya it was the PTC out of Alabama. So is the Billet offering the larger lockup clutch have any truth to it? Or do they just say that to justify the Billet on a street car and people like the idea of more?
Absolutely it has truth to it... But why do you need it if you aren't locking the converter under WOT conditions? Any quality converter won't have issues locking up under normal driving conditions.

People don't know enough about them and just here "billet is good" and they go with that, without knowing the exact information.

Originally Posted by Kingc8r

Yank sets the standard on ls1tech for "average" because there are so many. Many companies offer converter that perform better and worse than them.

Thanks man.

Thanks for the input. Your not the only one I've read about who said it didn't have that much of a profound difference. I want one where I can know its locked up and pulls hard. I probably am going to switch TC. I've emailed PTC about info on one.
Call them, don't mess around with email/etc.. Get 525$ ready and call them to place an order.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Teching In

To answer your original question, I just put in a Transgo shift kit on my rebuild transmission and I was totally unimpressed. As @Mrvedit stated, I would just add Sonnax 4L60E-LB1 boost valve and call it a day and save your money.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by jmmcamaro2002
To answer your original question, I just put in a Transgo shift kit on my rebuild transmission and I was totally unimpressed. As @Mrvedit stated, I would just add Sonnax 4L60E-LB1 boost valve and call it a day and save your money.
Thank you for the confirmation.

I would recommend a larger oil pan, but the truck pan is only about $30 (even from dealer?), holds an extra 1Q and even has a handy drain plug. You will need a truck pan filter for another $7.
Those fancy $200 deep pans are a waste of money and often hang dangerously low. Example thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...oling-pan.html

Avoid any and all chrome plated oil pans - over time the chrome flakes and causes leaks.

Sponsor CircleD also sells a non-billet converter for about $500 that many people are very happy with. I have the Yank SS3600 which is much tighter on the street than the TCI 3500 I had before it, but I know it isn't the fastest at the track, which isn't important to me.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I'll have to look into the the truck trans pan.

Ya the one shop only sells Sonnax. It costs $150 so it has more than just the boost valve in it. They don't have it listed on their site so I'm not sure as it what all is in it. I'll just find the boost valve and go with that if I feel the need to add it after having all the other stuff done.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

The Sonnax "Performance Pack" is a nice shift kit, but might not give you good value for your money.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

I have no intention to start an argument or flame fest. I just want the op to know there are options that don't break the bank...especially for a college student. Obviously you don't buy just any used converter. I have had fabulous luck purchasing "slightly used" quality converters at greatly reduced prices. My son just bought a 3600 Vigilante off the classifieds with extremely low miles, perfectly clean fluid and works wonderfully.

Even though I feel a quality unit "can" be had via used I understand your caution and assessment of the other companies you listed.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

I have no intention to start an argument or flame fest. I just want the op to know there are options that don't break the bank...especially for a college student. Obviously you don't buy just any used converter. I have had fabulous luck purchasing "slightly used" quality converters at greatly reduced prices. My son just bought a 3600 Vigilante off the classifieds with extremely low miles, perfectly clean fluid and works wonderfully.

Even though I feel a quality unit "can" be had via used I understand your caution and assessment of the other companies you listed.
Ya, I want to buy new... I could get a perfectly good working one for what? 400+ (depending on what I get of course). But on the other side of the coin I could get a bad once and be out that much cash plus a trans repair/replace.

And ya I've looked and they have all the Sonnax parts listed separately. I never saw the "Sonnax Performance Pack" on their site. I will more than likely end up just getting the boost valve if I really want it.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yank is a very good converter. We use them all the time.
PTC is a good company too.

Here is what we usually do

yank converter
flywheel
cooler
full install and full street/dyno tune( shift's setup perfect at wot) for $1600.

Lemons- not everyone wants to build there own car. I hire a carpenter to replace windows in my house, sure I can do them but would rather have a professional do them. Same thing.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Lemons- not everyone wants to build there own car. I hire a carpenter to replace windows in my house, sure I can do them but would rather have a professional do them. Same thing.
I understand that... But if you are on a tight budget, it is a very good thing to consider.

You could go with a nicer window that holds in heat/cool better and install yourself or go with a cheaper unit (likely to cost more in the future/more head ache) and have someone install it and equal the same price all said and done.

I just like to point out it isn't as bad as some people think it is... A converter swap is on the easy end of the intermediate installs.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 07-21-2013, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Yank is a very good converter. We use them all the time.
PTC is a good company too.

Here is what we usually do

yank converter
flywheel
cooler
full install and full street/dyno tune( shift's setup perfect at wot) for $1600.

Damn! 1600 for everything? That's a great deal wish I was closer...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Just a little build update... Got the LPW diff cover installed. Got a set of LCA bars and relocation brackets on the way. Also ordered some new spark plugs as I recently sea-foamed the engine. Also got new wires as well. Waiting until spring when I got a little bit more cash to do everything else.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What converter did you end up going with? How do you like it+

Quick Reply: Torque converter install, need help deciding which shop...