Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install shift kit with new stall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install shift kit with new stall?

I have a 2000 camaro with 114k miles. There were two owners before me but they took real good care of the car and kept every receipt of things replaced or work done to it. When I got it it was completely stock and I added the ls6 intake, headers, true duals, and 3.42 gears. I already ordered a yank ss3600 and tranny cooler. I plan on sending my computer to frost to get tuned and wanted to know if I should install a shift kit since I read that with the stall the shifts will feel softer and slower or will the tune be enough. I've been trying searching for days and still cannot find exactly the answer I'm looking for. If anyone has some experiences with this please chime in I'd appreciate the responses.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

trans go or sonnax........i recommend the sonnax

leave the trans out of the tune IMO
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Teching In

The kit I've been looking at is the transgo hd2. Is there a reason to leave the tranny out of the tune?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Installing the Transgo HD2 or Sonnax Performance Pack shift kits involves removing the valve body and some disassembly of it. It might be intimidating if you have never worked on a trans before.

I would suggest starting with just the Sonnax 4l60E-LB1 boost valve ($25) which is trivial to install and will by itself give you many benefits of a shift kit, including tighter shifts; plus higher line pressure to reduce slippage and wear.

If you think you will likely install a full shift kit in the future, you could buy either the Transgo HD2 ($80) or Sonnax Performance Pack ($125) and install just the boost valve from the kit for now. The Sonnax kit is more comprehensive and replaces parts which have likely worn. (I personally run a combination of both kits and more.)
Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Installing the Transgo HD2 or Sonnax Performance Pack shift kits involves removing the valve body and some disassembly of it. It might be intimidating if you have never worked on a trans before.

I would suggest starting with just the Sonnax 4l60E-LB1 boost valve ($25) which is trivial to install and will by itself give you many benefits of a shift kit, including tighter shifts; plus higher line pressure to reduce slippage and wear.

If you think you will likely install a full shift kit in the future, you could buy either the Transgo HD2 ($80) or Sonnax Performance Pack ($125) and install just the boost valve from the kit for now. The Sonnax kit is more comprehensive and replaces parts which have likely worn. (I personally run a combination of both kits and more.)
Not to thread hi-jack, but I figure it will probably be asked anyways, what mixture of parts do you have?

Also, yes, I have searched and found your threads where you talk about your different parts. But I know little about transmissions... Do you have just a list of it?

Thanks and once again sorry, I don't mean to thread hi-jack...

Last edited by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28; 07-31-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Definitely recommend the Transgo HD-2. I talked at length with Dana at Probuilt Automatics and bought the kit from him. Since I know little about transmission internals, I found an experienced guy to do it. Well worth it. The right time is when the tranny's out of the car ...

Your new converter is much smaller than the stocker and thus moves less fluid. This has to be compensated for. Plus there are advantages to converter clutch life and of course, firmer shifts. I've driven stalled cars without a kit and didn't like the shift quality.

Search for some of mrvedit's write-ups on the Sonnax pieces. Lots of good info.

Quick Reply: Install shift kit with new stall?