Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans went "tink" and no longer does anything

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans went "tink" and no longer does anything

Just cruising down the freeway on the way to the airport to join my family who were already on vacation when I heard a faint metallic "tink" from under my car then a noise that I took for something small and metallic either bouncing off the underside of my car or bouncing around in the trans case, could not say exactly either way. This happened at the same time my engine lost all connection with the transmission.

Felt exactly as if it was in neutral, no other sounds or nothing. Pulled over to side of road, played with shifter and only thing that "worked" was when in park the car didn't roll. No fluid on ground, no burnt smell in trans oil, nothing out of ordinary. Got towed home, redid my plane ticket and now am "supposedly" relaxing on vacation with my family.

I'm hoping it was my torque converter bolts that came loose like they used to do all the time on my old '78 Camaro - that idea is fading though after I remembered that the new trans have the bolt screw into the torque converter instead of screwing into a nut like on the older cars.

4L65E background: 50k miles of use/abuse. Rebuilt it two years ago with Kevlar frictions, upgraded steels, couple extra clutches, some other stuff including a upgraded pin thing that replaces a stock one that is known to shear on sudden downloads - I know about that pin because my builder commented on how it was a PITA to change when it should have been easy I guess.

Side Notes of varying importance: It's only had 435rwhp then just recently up to 490rwhp through it, no dragstrips runs but lots of digs and rolls on sticky tires.

Did a couple impromptu races with a modded S4 a dozen miles prior to the trans failure, including one from 50-150mph. No issues.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like your pump died.

Quick Reply: Trans went "tink" and no longer does anything