Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners & 98 PCM-locking converter in 3rd gear @ WOT , can I do it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HP Tuners & 98 PCM-locking converter in 3rd gear @ WOT , can I do it??

HP Tuners gurus, I have a question.

Can HP Tuners lock the torque converter clutch in 3rd gear at wide open throttle? I want to make some nitrous passes and lock the converter in 3rd gear around 100mph. Not exactly sure how to do it.

Running a 4L85E with FTI triple disc converter on a 4L60E tune ("slow67" relay mod) on a 98 F-body PCM.

Just not sure what to do with the TPS release tables that say if 100% throttle opening is reached the TCC will release, is there a way to override this command?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-24-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

In HP Tuners, the comment reads "If TPS exceeds this value, TCC will releases". Taken literally, that means if you set the entire table to 100, it will never exceed 100, and therefore not release according to that table.

Alternatively, you could make a small adjustment to the TPS sensor so that it only reads up to e.g. 98% at WOT. Just run the scanner with the ignition on (engine off) loosen the two TPS screws and move it a tiny bit.

NOTE TO OTHER READERS: The OP has a premium "triple disc converter" (probably $1000+); performing atWOT lockup with regular converters is highly discouraged as it can ruin the converter.

Last edited by mrvedit; 08-26-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.

I am new to the HP Tuners, and some of the comments can seem vague and the lack of instructions can leave a newb wondering "what the hell?"

I was at the track last night to make some nitrous passes( first attempt with this combo) but turns out I had issues with my window switch. I will have to get that taken care of and make another attempt in a couple of weeks. That will give me time to research more into locking the converter.

I have 4.11 gears and 28" tall tires, just wanting to lock the converter to give me a few hundred more rpms to try and get me through the traps without spinning the guts out of the engine, hehe!

YES, I would not be attempting this with a single disc converter. Greg @ FTI even commented to me when I was purchasing this triple disc converter that some guys have been locking them up around 100 mph with good success.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

I should have added that I haven't ever tried WOT lockup and am therefore not sure if setting the table to 100% will allow it. I just meant that if you take their help text "literally" it should work.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners & 98 PCM-locking converter in 3rd gear @ WOT , can I do it??