Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Issues w/ FTI stall and Performabuilt Trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Issues w/ FTI stall and Performabuilt Trans

I recently bought a Performabuilt Level 3 transmission and an FTI stall converter for my GTO to go with my new motor - I spent this weekend trying to install it but I ran into issues.

The following bulk of text is going to be copy/pasted from my build thread on another forum. The beginning section is describing the FTI stall and Performabuilt transmission.

"So again I decided to take off the converter and put it on again - I can only get it to slide in 2 out of the 3 times it should. No matter what there is a significant gap between the pump and the stall ( > 1" ). Using a straight edge across the bellhousing face the gap to the bolt pads on the converter is less than 1/8" definitely showing the converter isn't in all the way. I call up Frank at Performabuilt (who happens to be open on a Sunday!) and he gave me tips of what to try to no avail.

At this point I try putting the stock stall into the transmission and it's the same - it only goes 2 out of the 3 clicks in leaving little to no gap from the bellhousing face.

Okay so I try comparing the FTI and stock stall on the stock transmission. The stock stall goes on like butter onto the stock transmission, but the FTI still can only go 2 of the 3 clicks leaving a large gap between it and the pump. Taking measurements the FTI sticks out .661" past the stock one - but when put side to side on the ground they have the same height.

I called a friend over who has swapped his auto GTO trans 3 times, and he couldn't get it to work either. We measured the shafts and inspected them and they are nearly identical. At this point I am at a loss and just pissed - I'm probably just going to put the stock trans/stall back in just so that I can drive the car.

After all of this I spoke with Frank again and we just couldn't figure out what the issue is. He said he will definitely help me get it taken care of though - I'm going to call FTI tomorrow and see what they have to say. I don't know what could possibly be the issue though.

Stock transmission: Stock stall goes on like butter, FTI has a significant gap.
Performabuilt: Neither stock or FTI stall go in.

This doesn't rule out anything, so this will be fun. I'm done for today though, I've spent all day yesterday and a lot of today messing with it."

If anybody has any tips/tricks I would greatly appreciate it - I am at a complete loss here, and Frank felt the same way on the phone. I have tried searching this forum as well as others and haven't found anything like this.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

First, I am GLAD you are measuring the distance from the edge of the bell housing. That is the ONLY way to be sure the converter is all the way on.

I've had converters go in 5 seconds. Others have taken me 10 minutes and completely maxed out my strength and almost my patience.

It helps to use a screwdriver to rotate the trans pump "tangs" until they are in the 12 and 6 O'clock positions. Then hold the converter with the cut-outs in the same positions and only rotate the converter a few degrees while trying to wiggle it on.

I suspect the FTI converter's cut-outs are a bit on the tight side as this is probably a part that FTI manufacturers. Every trans builder uses the same GM pump rotor and it is unlikely there is any variation there. Measure the width of the cutout on the stock converter; if the FTI's cutout is narrower, I would file it a bit bigger to match the stock measurement.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Following up on this any conclusions ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Im here toooo what did we find!!

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Following up on this any conclusions ?
Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
Im here toooo what did we find!!

Greg
I didn't have a chance to check anything out on Monday. I am most likely just going to put the stock setup back in the car and bring it to a friends shop to see what he can do - but that is probably a week or two away. I'll keep you guys updated, and I'm sure if something is wrong it will get taken care of.

I will try what mrvedit said by turning the pump myself and aligning the stall to see if I can get it in though.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Call me and let me know if I can help!!

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Call me and let me know if I can help!!

Greg
The transmission and converter are going to be sent to Frank to see if he can get it to work. I will keep this thread updated with findings.

In the mean time I put my bellhousing and tailhousing back onto my stock trans for installation in the car... I did try aligning the pump and converter on the Performabuilt & FTI with no luck. Hopefully Frank can get it to work though.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Okay, so the update:

Frank came over today and looked at the trans. First he checked the pump by inspecting and spinning it - it checked out. So he took the FTI converter and tried to seat it but had the same issues I was having - it just wasn't going in all the way. He determined that something must be wrong with the pump bushing so he took the trans and converter with him and will return it once he gets it working properly.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Anything ever come out of this??
Old 10-04-2013, 04:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes it was just a very snug fitting input shaft to converter splines which after repeated try's damaged the pump bushing which further complicated things but the front pump bushing has been replaced and converter slide on and off several times now to make sure so all is good . I have left voice mail for the customer as I am in Florida right now and plan to return it to him as soon as he lets me know when as I don't want to travel across the state and no one be home .
Frank at PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Trans delivered back to customer by me this evening,
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

Frank, everyone here knows you give exceptional service, but this time you have really outdone any and everyone else.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well it was a unique opportunity I happened to be close by glad I could help.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice work!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Frank is a great guy with good service...helping straighten out some issues with mine as well right now...can't wait to get it back and get rolling again!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This is why I deal with Frank, They are a stand up company which I like to surround my self with. I called and spoke with him at 9:00 pm and we got the issue resolved. Frank went way beyond what most would do. I sent out a new converter as well to make sure everything went like it was supposed to!!! Hats off to Frank. Glad to be associated with them!!

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 10-07-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

great service and two great vendors working together to make sure a customer is satisfied..hats off to both you guys
Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Frank, everyone here knows you give exceptional service, but this time you have really outdone any and everyone else.
Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well it was a unique opportunity I happened to be close by glad I could help.
I agree, Frank has been nothing but a big help since I started inquiring about the transmission months back. It's funny how things work out that he happened to be in FL to come take a look himself.

This is why I deal with Frank, They are a stand up company which I like to surround my self with. I called and spoke with him at 9:00 pm and we got the issue resolved. Frank went way beyond what most would do. I sent out a new converter as well to make sure everything went like it was supposed to!!! Hats off to Frank. Glad to be associated with them!!

Greg
Hmm, this is news to me - I wasn't aware of this. So is the converter that Frank returned to me a new one or the original that I gave to him with the transmission?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its the original the extra was sent just in case was needed.
FTI is and awesome stand up company IMO
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 10-07-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW! im in customer service for a living that is just outstanding! i know who im calling when i need a new or upgraded trans. cheers

Quick Reply: Interesting Issues w/ FTI stall and Performabuilt Trans