Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E TC squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E TC squeal

Got my swap up and running Monday after a few minor hiccups. One thing I noticed is that if you turn the driveshaft by hand, the trans makes a bit of a squealing noise. Not metal on metal, more like the sound you would hear in a cartoon when someone ran into glass and then slid down... You can also hear the noise when the engine is just shut off and the trans is slowing to a stop. I haven't really been listening for it when the engine is running, due to tracking down other small things. It sounds like its coming from the converter, but I was wondering if any of you had run into this before?

It is a bit tough to tell how much fluid is in it right now because the trans came from a van so it has the van dipstick on it, but I bent it down a little to fit into the engine bay. The fluid takes a while to make its way out of the fill tube, but it should have enough. I am looking at a new dipstick for it, just haven't gotten one yet.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My junkyard unit made the same squealing noise when I turned the input shaft by hand, no converter. I'm not sure exactly what the noise was from, but I pulled the trans apart and it was in immaculate condition so I'm not too worried about it.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Awesome. Like I said it still seems to be running OK, just being cautious. Its so hard to tell what the fluid level is at on these things...
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

That is the low roller clutch squeeling. It's fine and normal.
As for fluid level, center Q/A here:
http://www.jakesperformance.com/Tran..._FAQ_Page.html
Old 09-26-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
That is the low roller clutch squeeling. It's fine and normal.
As for fluid level, center Q/A here:
http://www.jakesperformance.com/Tran..._FAQ_Page.html
I was assembling my 80E tonight and put the low roller clutch in and it indeed made the same squealing sound when turning
Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks again! That method for checking fluid level is exactly what I need Few more questions if you don't mind. Right now the trans appears to be in limp mode. The truck starts and runs, and I can go through P,R,N,D,D3, and D2, (column shifter can't reach D1), but it won't come out of what I assume is 2nd.

First off, here are a few facts so you might be able to help me out better. The brake switch isn't hooked up, the truck hasn't been tuned yet, I bought the 6.0/4l80 separate but I believe the 6.0 had an 80 behind it anyway (2003 LQ4 PCM is the re-manufactured 89017733 number), the MIL is not connected, the only codes I am getting from an OBDII to BT adapter and the Torque app are for emissions and the MIL voltage.

Would any one of these things cause limp mode or should I start checking solenoids or something else? I plan on getting all of this taken care of anyway, but I'd like to get it up to a local show this weekend if I can. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Teching In

In case anyone has the same problem, check the large plug that goes into the trans. Somehow I managed to plug it in upside down. Not sure if the CPP harness I got doesn't have a tab on that plug to prevent that, or the trans side of the plug is just worn down because I didn't have to force it in or anything. Dumb mistake, but cheap fix so I'm happy!
Old 11-03-2021, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Billett
In case anyone has the same problem, check the large plug that goes into the trans. Somehow I managed to plug it in upside down. Not sure if the CPP harness I got doesn't have a tab on that plug to prevent that, or the trans side of the plug is just worn down because I didn't have to force it in or anything. Dumb mistake, but cheap fix so I'm happy!
i know this is a old post but when you fixed the issue did the sound go away immediately for did it take awhile. im also having the same issue with my 6.0 and 4l80 swap

Quick Reply: 4L80E TC squeal