Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jakes 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default jakes 4l80e

I have an ongoing issue with the trans. It has been in the car for 15 miles. I have a 02 ta which I swapped in a 4l80e in place of a m6. Hptuners did the segment swap. I have a startup tune from my tuner (in Colorado and I'm in Wyoming). Basically I'm trying to just get some breakin miles on it so I can take it to Colorado to be dyno tuned. 4l80e is a stage 3 with d1 transbrake and a Jakes billet 3200 stall converter. The problem I'm having is that the trans does not want to move in reverse or drive or any gear for that matter. After starting it and shutting it off and moving the gear selector to try and get it to move and using hp to command the trans to go into 1st it'll eventually go into gear. While I'm trying to get the trans to go into gear initially when I first start it up I can give it a fair amount of gas and it'll half *** move the car but would not be able to go up on a incline or anything like that (drive and reverse do the same). Once I get the car moving it still seems to feel like the trans is slipping in first gear when I start out, but for the record I haven't had any stalled auto before so I don't know what to really expect as far as behavior. I do have to give it a fair amount of gas to get the car to start off. It basically sounds like I have a stick car and ride the hell out of the clutch. Running through the gears is fine. Good strong shifts with no issues. Trans has good fluid level. I've checked that a lot. While driving the car for 30 minutes (38 degrees outside) it built a lot of heat in a short amount of time and basically breakin driving is all the trans has seen during that time since I'm turbocharged and have a startup tune. (No boosted driving) I have an external trans cooler on it and the temp sensor is plugged into the pressure port on the side of the trans. Temp was at 210-220
Any ideas on what's going on? I am also having some issues with the speedo reading about 90 when I'm driving 30 so I need to do calibration on that, but I don't think that would have anything to do with this would it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Chris
Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say give jake a call.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call him, he'll fix it.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was hoping to catch him on here when he has time. I've called in but most of the time he's pretty busy which I understand so no blame being passed out. Just trying some different avenues just in case might be something simple to fix.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
I have an ongoing issue with the trans. It has been in the car for 15 miles. I have a 02 ta which I swapped in a 4l80e in place of a m6. Hptuners did the segment swap. I have a startup tune from my tuner (in Colorado and I'm in Wyoming). Basically I'm trying to just get some breakin miles on it so I can take it to Colorado to be dyno tuned. 4l80e is a stage 3 with d1 transbrake and a Jakes billet 3200 stall converter. The problem I'm having is that the trans does not want to move in reverse or drive or any gear for that matter. After starting it and shutting it off and moving the gear selector to try and get it to move and using hp to command the trans to go into 1st it'll eventually go into gear. While I'm trying to get the trans to go into gear initially when I first start it up I can give it a fair amount of gas and it'll half *** move the car but would not be able to go up on a incline or anything like that (drive and reverse do the same). Once I get the car moving it still seems to feel like the trans is slipping in first gear when I start out, but for the record I haven't had any stalled auto before so I don't know what to really expect as far as behavior. I do have to give it a fair amount of gas to get the car to start off. It basically sounds like I have a stick car and ride the hell out of the clutch. Running through the gears is fine. Good strong shifts with no issues. Trans has good fluid level. I've checked that a lot. While driving the car for 30 minutes (38 degrees outside) it built a lot of heat in a short amount of time and basically breakin driving is all the trans has seen during that time since I'm turbocharged and have a startup tune. (No boosted driving) I have an external trans cooler on it and the temp sensor is plugged into the pressure port on the side of the trans. Temp was at 210-220
Any ideas on what's going on? I am also having some issues with the speedo reading about 90 when I'm driving 30 so I need to do calibration on that, but I don't think that would have anything to do with this would it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Chris
Fix that first. It's probably commanding a higher gear than it needs to be in since it's reading way higher than it should be.
Check your speed sensors to be sure you have it plugged into the proper sensor.
Check and be sure you are setup in the tune for a 40 tooth reluctor.

This post is an example of why I can't get to every phone call. I deal with dozens of calls a day from customers and non-customers to diagnose problems like this over the phone.
Your initial post sounds like low fluid level, but the speedo reading gives some deeper insight.

We build and dyno the transmission. We KNOW with good certainty that they work when they leave here. The transmission (in the case of a 4L80E or 4L60E) is an electronically controlled unit.
Not only do I have to hope the installer understands basic install procedure of the transmission, but also that they can correctly wire it, tune it, and be aware of common issues when dealing with aftermarket parts.

Unfortunately I can't relay 25 years of automotive experience to the installer to know all the things that need to be checked when doing an install, especially a non-stock install.

You have a control issue. Fix it and more than likely everything else will fix itself.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Jake,
I appreciate your input and time. We actually talked earlier today as well. No poking or jabbing at you for any of this. I know your busy and I figured it was going to be something simple so I didn't think two things about it. I'm still happy with my trans and I know that it's definitely an oversight on my part. I wish you could relay all that experience, but that's why I chose you and your product is because I don't have that experience. None the less it is what it is. I'll check on the things you've suggested and I'll let ya know what it turns out to be. Thanks again Jake. Chris

Quick Reply: jakes 4l80e