Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new 4l60e broke........

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new 4l60e broke........

Hello to all im new to the ls1 word.

I recently bought a 99 ss with a brand new 4l6oe trans with a brand new TCI 2600 converter, Well I made it 126 miles and it lost FIRST gear then within 10 miles it completely lost all movement... The trans has a TCI-TCU trans controller and it was showing on the display that it was in FIRST gear but it was not for sure....

So I pulled the trans and found the converter was destroyed, there were pieces actually falling out of it..I sent the converter back to TCI and they stated "the thrust bearing broke and destroyed the converter"..They sent me a brand new one for no charge..

The trans was sent back and was not warrantied but I was informed of the damage and it was BAD. The front pump was trashed, the front planetary which was a 5 gear was blue and did not turn, all the clutches were destroyed from all the shavings.

So my question is what the hell happened to this thing the trans was fully built with all good parts and it is not a drag car. I did put it back together and have not drove it yet due to me being scarred it will happen again.....
Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be converter not installed properly. Converter tabs to bell housing should be about 1.125 inset. Spacing of converter tabs and flexplate around 1/8 inch. Good write up in stickies in this section.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like it wasn't installed and the converter mounting pads to bellhousing wasn't measured correctly if the pump is bad.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM

When converter was reinstalled I measured 1-1/64. That was what the manufacture recommended. I hope it was just a bad converter and this wont happen again... Pump was bad due to the shavings, there was a lot of gouges on the pump .................
Old 11-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

According to various threads here including with internal pictures, most TCI converters are rebuilt GM V6 converters with a higher stall and a welded ring to fit an LS engine.
The sponsors RevMax, CircleD and Yank all make much higher quality and much stronger converters. $500 buys you a very good one; $750 an excellent one.
I am sorry to hear of your troubles - next time get purchasing advice in this forum; I don't think anyone has ever recommended a TCI converter here.
I too started with TCI converters and was fortunate to learn of their inferiority without such a harsh lesson. (First had a 2400, then a 3600. The 3600 was a slush-box compared to a Yank SS3600.) Just my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

I have had TCI torque converters come apart and destroy a couple of my transmissions years ago, and from that point forward I would not warranty a transmission with one of their torque converters in front of it. Nor will I recommend their torque converters for the 700R4 and the 4L60E transmissions. I have heard from others many times over the years of their TC's taking out a 700R4 or 4L60E transmissions. There are a few good torque converter companies out there (as mentioned above) for the 700R4 and 4L60E transmissions, but TCI is not one of them in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 PM

When I got the car it had the converter and trans done. I read about TCI having issues with there converters, If I was to buy a new converter I would never put a TCI in the car. As it stands the car is all back together and seems to be good, I put close to 15 quarts in the dang trans..

The trans is controlled by a TCI- EZ-TCU. I went threw and set all the programing and it seems good. Te trans builder stated the converter prob killed the trans when the thrust bearing went out.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

Understood.
Yes, an empty trans takes a lot of ATF. I start with 12 quarts, start it up easy to see what it needs. IIRC, the trans by itself takes 11 quarts, plus the converter, plus the cooler and its lines.
Good luck.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Teching In

IMO, go with a Yank.
Ive heard nothing but good stories from Yank. Ive heard of people using Circle-D and Vigilante and it either being too loose to too tight, and buying a Yank and it being perfect the first time.

But with most things, you get what you pay for when it comes to a stall. My Pro Series 3600 for 4L80e is $995 :o(
Old 11-06-2013, 03:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Funny I swapped out my Yank for a Circle D. Vigilantes are looser than their numbers say.

Yank, FTI, PTC, and Circle D all have good converters for our cars. Call each up and see which company fits best for you.

Quick Reply: Brand new 4l60e broke........