Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 Manual Valve Body guys chime in!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L80 Manual Valve Body guys chime in!!

Alright so first off, I have searched on and off for weeks and I just can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for.

I am soon to swap out my T56 for a 4L80E. My car has a 408ci/F1-A setup and as much as I love shifting gears, I want to go auto. That being said, I was faced with the choice of manual valve body or computer controlled.

The car will not see the track very much, it is a street car, and I will be driving it very often for fun and cruising purposes, and some "spirited driving" . I need to know how people feel about having a manual valve body 80E on the street! I don't have much experience with MVB setups but I don't believe I would get tired of changing gears because I love my T56 and I love shifting.

I know the computer controlled shifts would be "faster" and easier, but that's not what I would like to know. So if anyone who has a MVB 4L80E that drives it on the street often, let me know how you like it. I will most likely be going with a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

I am in the same boat. I will be following this thread as well. Bump
Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

I did one using the HD-3 kit, didn't like the shift delay, def with 4 gears it is a PITA shifting all the time-swapped out to an HD-2 kit and new VB and would never go back
there's a way to wire in yours to man, see if you like it, rewire it back and go auto if you dont
Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I did one using the HD-3 kit, didn't like the shift delay, def with 4 gears it is a PITA shifting all the time-swapped out to an HD-2 kit and new VB and would never go back there's a way to wire in yours to man, see if you like it, rewire it back and go auto if you dont
Are you saying you swapped to the HD-2 kit and stayed manual valve body or you swapped to the HD-2 kit and to a computer controlled valve body?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subbed. I'm in the same boat, I like rowing my own gears but want to go auto. I see people advise against the MVB and I'm just wondering if that's because they like just pushing the gas pedal or if there is actual reason to not get it.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I usually try to not give an opinion on this because that is all that it is, an opinion based on each's preferences.

A 4L80E was originally designed as an electronically controlled transmission. I have not seen any true hydraulic VB design that didn't take something away from the design the Hydramatic engineers worked so hard to develop, with a huge budget.

My opinion is that it is best used as an electronic transmission if it's within the budget and technical skill of the installer.
The reality is some don't have the budget/skill to deal with the wiring and tuning.

There are some cases where the manual VB works well even when the budget tune is there. I have a customer who is a respected tuner that prefers full manual operation in his turbo car, that way he can short shift it on a bad run or on the street when it gets loose, to help hook it back up and let the motor/turbo pull the car. An auto shift setup would just shift at the predetermined rpm/mph parameter, possibly causing other issues.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I usually try to not give an opinion on this because that is all that it is, an opinion based on each's preferences.

A 4L80E was originally designed as an electronically controlled transmission. I have not seen any true hydraulic VB design that didn't take something away from the design the Hydramatic engineers worked so hard to develop, with a huge budget.

My opinion is that it is best used as an electronic transmission if it's within the budget and technical skill of the installer.
The reality is some don't have the budget/skill to deal with the wiring and tuning.

There are some cases where the manual VB works well even when the budget tune is there. I have a customer who is a respected tuner that prefers full manual operation in his turbo car, that way he can short shift it on a bad run or on the street when it gets loose, to help hook it back up and let the motor/turbo pull the car. An auto shift setup would just shift at the predetermined rpm/mph parameter, possibly causing other issues.
I have a mvb from this guy and I came from a t56 and I must say that I love this setup. Make sure to run the electronic style mvb that is cake to wire and will shift whenever you demand, and you won't have the hydraulic issues that most complain about. Best part was I had to do no tuning for the trans.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silverls1z28ofdeath
I have a mvb from this guy and I came from a t56 and I must say that I love this setup. Make sure to run the electronic style mvb that is cake to wire and will shift whenever you demand, and you won't have the hydraulic issues that most complain about. Best part was I had to do no tuning for the trans.
That does sound nice!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I usually try to not give an opinion on this because that is all that it is, an opinion based on each's preferences. A 4L80E was originally designed as an electronically controlled transmission. I have not seen any true hydraulic VB design that didn't take something away from the design the Hydramatic engineers worked so hard to develop, with a huge budget. My opinion is that it is best used as an electronic transmission if it's within the budget and technical skill of the installer. The reality is some don't have the budget/skill to deal with the wiring and tuning. There are some cases where the manual VB works well even when the budget tune is there. I have a customer who is a respected tuner that prefers full manual operation in his turbo car, that way he can short shift it on a bad run or on the street when it gets loose, to help hook it back up and let the motor/turbo pull the car. An auto shift setup would just shift at the predetermined rpm/mph parameter, possibly causing other issues.
Thank you for the reply. After lots of thinking, I believe it would be much better go go with the auto shifted trans. It will be 99% driven on the street, and in reality I probably won't get much traction, so the fmvb is appealing in that sense, but hopefully the computer controlled setup will still treat me well. Your thoughts?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silverls1z28ofdeath
So the electronic mvb you just shift like normal, except it's electronic vs hydraulic which is what a fmvb is, is that correct? Shifts as soon as you do and everything? Wouldn't happen to have a video of this would you? Just curious.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

some of the controllers have a manual mode, so you can shift it as a manual, or switch back and let it shift-I used to leave mine in auto, when I ran it I just shifted it thru the gears-its the best of both worlds
sometimes its nice to just let the trans do all the work
to clear it up, when I switched to the HD-2 kit I was using auto
the old VB wasn't usable after the HD-3 conversion as an auto

Quick Reply: 4L80 Manual Valve Body guys chime in!!