Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E fixed yoke - what does it bottom out on or tighten up against?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L80E fixed yoke - what does it bottom out on or tighten up against?

I have a Spicer 1350 yoke on the 2WD 4L80E transmission in my LS swap. I want to run it fixed, not as a slip yoke. When I push the yoke all the way on the output shaft, the yoke actually goes past the output shaft. The output shaft sticks out past the yoke, so when I put the bolt on to snug it all up, the bolt does not tighten the yoke at all... it just snugs down against the output shaft and that's it.

So now what do I do? I was thinking about making and installing a spacer so that the yoke sticks out just a little bit past the output shaft. The problem is, I don't know where to put the spacer because I don't know where the yoke is supposed to bottom out. Does it bottom out inside the trans? If it does, I can make a spacer and slide it down the output shaft and inside the tail housing. Or does it bottom out the outer/back edge of the tail housing? That doesn't make much sense... not sure how it would get lubed.

I'm stuck - any help would be appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails 4L80E fixed yoke - what does it bottom out on or tighten up against?-img_3675-drawing.jpg   4L80E fixed yoke - what does it bottom out on or tighten up against?-tail-housing-drawing.jpg   4L80E fixed yoke - what does it bottom out on or tighten up against?-dsc00145-drawing-copy.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You have the wrong output shaft for a bolt on yoke.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

I called you guys earlier today - were you the one I spoke with? Jake or someone else?

Anyway, the driveshaft is made and I don't want to have it redone, so what do I need to do to make this work properly? There's a little bit of play if you shake the front of the driveshaft. I'm guessing there's not supposed to be any play.

Most importantly, what does a bolt-in fixed yoke tighten down on?

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance

Last edited by FastKat; 11-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody?

How do I make this driveshaft work?

On the "correct" bolt-on yoke, what does it tighten down against?

Last edited by FastKat; 11-11-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which part is unclear?
There are more than one style of output shaft.
Is yours threaded in the end of the shaft?

Is that even the right front yoke for a bolt on style?
Mine is already together so I can't tell the difference.

I thought bolt on yokes were only used on two pc drive shafts.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboS10
Which part is unclear?
The part that helps me fix the problem- it's missing!

There are more than one style of output shaft.
Is yours threaded in the end of the shaft?
Yes, my output shaft has a threaded bolt hole down the middle. It appears to be 1/2 NF.

Is that even the right front yoke for a bolt on style?
It fits on the output shaft and has a bolt hole in the middle, but it seems to go on about 1/8" too far. That's all I really know. If it's not the right yoke, I need to figure out how to make this work, preferably without cutting up the driveshaft. If I could buy a new "correct" bolt-in yoke that accepts 1350 u-joints, I'd be all over that.

I thought bolt on yokes were only used on two pc drive shafts.
No, not necessarily. You can use them on one-piece shafts if there is a slip joint in the shaft. That's how the shaft was on the 4L80E donor vehicle. I just copied that - figured if that's how GM was doing it, it would work for me too.

So same question... What does a bolt-on yoke bottom out on?? If I can figure that out, I can make a spacer and be done with this. If I could buy a "correct" bolt-on yoke that accepts as 1350 u-joint, I'd do that too.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not sure how to be more clear than I was on the phone or here.

YOU HAVE THE WRONG OUTPUT SHAFT FOR A BOLT ON YOKE. IT WILL NOT WORK.

All 4L80E's have a threaded output shaft.

Some have a shaft that has approx 2.75" of spline and then a raised metal portion that causes the bolt on yoke to bottom out. Others have a full splined shaft like the one you posted a picture of. The fully splined shafts did not come with a bolt on yoke, they used a longer slip yoke, often used in van applications.

That shaft will not work with a factory bolt on yoke PERIOD. If you attempt to do so it would end up being a cobbled together mess.

You can fix it by changing the output shaft or using a slip yoke style driveshaft.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure how to be more clear than I was on the phone or here.
This is how you be more clear:

All 4L80E's have a threaded output shaft.

Some have a shaft that has approx 2.75" of spline and then a raised metal portion that causes the bolt on yoke to bottom out. Others have a full splined shaft like the one you posted a picture of. The fully splined shafts did not come with a bolt on yoke, they used a longer slip yoke, often used in van applications.

That shaft will not work with a factory bolt on yoke PERIOD. If you attempt to do so it would end up being a cobbled together mess.

You can fix it by changing the output shaft or using a slip yoke style driveshaft.
Thanks! I knew the helpful Jake I talked to a couple years ago was in there somewhere.

Quick Reply: 4L80E fixed yoke - what does it bottom out on or tighten up against?