Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How high off the ground do I need the car to do this? I'm gonna build cradles for the wheels just need to know minimum height.my trans will be upgraded over stock.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As high as you can get it. I did mine on a 2 post lift but all the prep work I did at home on the ground. The 80e is a heavy *** tranny. If it were me I would have a minimum of 3 ft from the body to the ground. If you can find a place that rents out lift space to do the install, do it. You'll save so much time and headaches it'll be worth the money spent.

The BMR fits like a glove BUT you'll play hell putting the torque arm on without weight on the rear tires. Not to mention, on the ground, pulling on the torque arm, trying to line up the bolts, with very little space to put your fingers and laying on your back. SMH. But, once it's on, adjusting pinion angle is really easy and the mount is solid.

Some good news though. You got the Lokar, so the dipstick will be easy.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Ill be having the rear tires on the cradles too so the suspension will be loaded in the rear.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the input guys. The parts are all here except the trans(just gotta find the guy i want to build the 4L80 i picked up. Got one out of an '08 Express Van for $150 but it needs a rebuild as there is some minor input shaft play. Also picked up a single A-pillar pod for a trans temp gauge. It's one of the gauges that looks black until it's lit up. The converter is in transit to my place and then i just gotta get it in the air and start tearing it apart. The unfortunate part is its winter here in MN so there is snow everywhere. Part of me wants to just leave all the parts until it warms up but the other part of me wants to just get it done then test it out in the spring. I can, at the very least back it out into the driveway and back in to see if it moves.

Quick Reply: 4L80 conversion questions