Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resized input shaft sealing ring issue (4L60E)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resized input shaft sealing ring issue (4L60E)

Hello all.

I don't have the special tool to resize the sealing rings on the input so I lubed up a long funnel, and pulled the ring down the funnel, I then put them in the associated groove on the input shaft and used tape and a hose clamp to re-size them. The problem is, I think I resized them TOO much by tightening the hose clamp a lot and leaving it there overnight. One was so tight it was hard to turn it in its groove.

I then put the input and reverse input drums together and assembled them onto the pump on the bench and air checked the clutch engagement. All the clutches engaged nicely, but it sounded like some air was escaping somewhere. The book doesn't call for this kind of test so I don't know if it is an accurate test or not. But like I said, the clutches all seemed to be engaging.

I finished the rebuild about a month ago and the tranny has been sitting in my garage, would the sealing rings go back to normal size??
Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 391 Likes on 300 Posts

First it is excellent that you air tested the complete input and reverse drums assembled into the pump. Everyone rebuilding a trans should take that small extra step.

It is normal for there to be noticeable air leakage with this test; much of the leakage will be from between the pump halves and the various bleed-check-***** in the pump. It is not a problem because air can squeaze through tiny openings much better than thick ATF. The 3/4 clutch also has a tiny bleed hole (near the input shaft) in addition to the check ball.

As long as all the clutches applied firmly, I think you should be fine. Pro builders have shown me how they keep the rubber air tip in the hole while releasing pressure, and then estimate how long it takes for the clutch to release. Anything over 1 second is a good indicator (depending upon which clutch), but I don't personally have the experience to judge it.

I have also used hose clamps to resize teflon rings and know not to overtighten them. In my experience they will expand over time. I recall a thread where the OP had probably overtighten the clamps for the reverse rings on the stator shaft, started the car just a few hours after assembling the trans and noticed he had no Reverse. I suggested waiting a day and then letting the car idle for a half hour. His Reverse then came back.

I think you are good to go.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for your reply! I very much appreciate it. :]

Quick Reply: Resized input shaft sealing ring issue (4L60E)