Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with the factory trans cooler in the radiator????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by .boB
Heat is a big enemy for an auto trans. The higher the temps go, the shorter the trans life. OTOH, if the oil doesn't get up to proper operating temp, it doesn't work correctly either.

The cooler in the radiator is actually a heat exchanger. It's goal is to stabilize the trans temp with the coolant temp. Keeps the oil warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. For millions of cars on the road, that works just fine. But higher loads and higher stall speeds can add a lot of heat. Then you need to add an additional cooler.

The most efficient are plate style, like Mocal or Earls. I prefer to use AN style threaded fittings and hoses, but lots of people do fine with barbed fittings and rubber hoses on a universal type cooler. You get what you pay for.

If you drive where it can be really cold, put the cooler before the heat exchanger. If you only drive in fair weather or live in a hot climate, put it after the exchanger.
Solid advice.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You're numbers are pure garbage, you're post was garbage. I was trying to be nice but actually, what you posted has no relevancy here. Why does it not you ask? Because the numbers don't add up to OUR cars. I've ran just about every combo of thermostat, fan settings, and trans cooler settings. I've had digital trans and coolant temp gauges from the beginning. NOTHING you can tell me about these cars will mean jack to me. I've posted a ton of times how the trans/motor temps run with different setups, and those posts are still here if the OP wants to search around some. If he doesn't want to search and wants to know something in particular, I can give him factual data from MY fbody. You can't.
So basically you just throw out whatever I posted because its not a LS? Youre funny. Link some of these things youve posted and your location. Id love to read it.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bypass the stock radiator at all costs and use the biggest external cooler possible.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've scanned quite a few stock vehicles, and after warmed up, the trans temp was always as high or higher than coolant temp. Usually 200+.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run my stock 6 spd radiator without a trans cooler in it and got one of these bad *****. Had some heat issues with 4L60e and didn't feel like playing that game again with the 4L80e. Buy once cry once.

http://derale.com/products/coolers/t...ler-kit-detail
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Troy5061
I run my stock 6 spd radiator without a trans cooler in it and got one of these bad *****. Had some heat issues with 4L60e and didn't feel like playing that game again with the 4L80e. Buy once cry once.

http://derale.com/products/coolers/t...ler-kit-detail
I bought one like that. Was too big to fit without major modification that I didnt want to do to the car. So large I might put it on the Dmax.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep its pretty big, I deleted my fogs when I installed my turbo setup, they were all pitted up and gross so this fit pretty good where the drivers side was. Should still get some air through the fog hole in the bumper and the fan will take care of the rest.
Attached Thumbnails What's up with the factory trans cooler in the radiator????-transcooler.jpg  

Quick Reply: What's up with the factory trans cooler in the radiator????