Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e clnstantly breaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,244 Likes on 800 Posts

Clean out your lines. Use kerosene and flush the lines both directions. Then blow them out with air. Low line pressure can cause the clutches to engage somewhat but still "slip" some and thus burn the clutches out too quick. Also, use a z-pac for the 3-4 clutches, much better than stock rebuild frictions and not much more expensive, just for some insurance...Also, is it the same trans rebuilt 4 times or 4 different transmissions, meaning different cases and valve bodies etc?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peteggl
I don't have the money for a 4l80e swap, I would not even be able to get it built if it wasn't under warranty. I've pretty much decided I'm selling the car as soon as I get it back this time, it's just not practical anymore
Is it really that hard to swap an 80e into an F-body?

I picked up my transmission, flexplate /w spacer and bolts, and a Transgo HD2 for $600.

Your setup doesn't look to be wild enough to need an extremely expensive converter. Revmax makes good 4L80 converters for $500 in your stall range.

Add in cooler line fitting and adapt whatever cooler you may have now. You'll be in $1500 when its all said and done. If it wasn't for the converter, I would be in a lot less than that. I sold my TH400 and converter and recouped 100% of the cost of the 4L80 swap, minus the converter. There are tons of people putting 700+ whp through stock 4L80s with a transgo and they seem to live forever.

Quick Reply: 4l60e clnstantly breaking