Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0740 code tcc solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default P0740 code tcc solenoid

Ok got the car started, idled for 30 seconds and I get the p0740 code (tcc enable solenoid circuit electrical)

So cut the car off and unhooked trans connector from tranny... Tested e pin for power and with key on engine off I get 10.5 volts which I'm sure would be 12v once the car goes on..

Dropped the pan and removed the tcc solenoid, ohmed it out to 10.7

I also connected the solenoid direct to my new battery and it clicks, a very light click but it clicks!

Also hooked the internal harness back to the trans connector and with key on I get 10.5 volts when I check the pigtail that plugs into the tcc solenoid

So the solenoid works and is getting power once the key is on..

Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails P0740 code tcc solenoid-image-3808840480.jpg   P0740 code tcc solenoid-image-2333936706.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Tcc enable is the additional solenoid used on a 4L60E, this isn't used in a 4L80. Delete the code in the tune.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Tcc enable is the additional solenoid used on a 4L60E, this isn't used in a 4L80. Delete the code in the tune.
Ok I did the 4l60e relay mod just wanted to make sure..

So p0740 is common code to pop up when doing the swap?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Bump for more info..

Purchased a new tcc solenoid thinking my old one went bad, still won't engage when commanded to using VCM controls..

Car is off with key on, I used a multimeter on the pigtail going to tcc solenoid and once commanded it still shows 12v vs ground like its supposed to?

Wiring is correct, 12v to positive of solenoid, and negative side goes to pin s and that goes to red 42 which is tcc enable control!

Using 4l60 tune
Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

TCC Enable solenoid is the "on/off" solenoid in the 4L60E. The 4L80E doesn't use this solenoid.

TCC PWM solenoid is used in both units.(excluding 93-94 4L60E's that didn't have PWM control).

When doing the relay mod, the enable circuit can be used to on/off the PWM solenoid in the 4L80E.
OR the PWM circuit can be used to PWM the solenoid in the 4L80E.
If you PWM it, it requires two relays.

Your harness may be built with one or two relays. You will have to determine this.

When checking a circuit for power, even though you ground the circuit, it will still show voltage on the circuit.
i.e. You have power going into a trans solenoid (or an engine fuel injector) you will still have power going out the opposite side. (it's just a winding, essentially a long spool of continuous wire).
The multimeter reads the power in the circuit to whatever you ground it's common lead to but doesn't create enough ground to activate the device. If you ground the solenoid by the PCM control, there is still power in the circuit, the only difference is the solenoid has enough ground to pull in.
If you want to test the PCM control, you need to disconnect the connector at the solenoid to eliminate power, and test the control side (PCM) for continuity to ground (good chassis ground) while activating the PCM control in the scanner.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

yes Im using the 4l60 on/off signal to trigger the 4l80 pwm solenoid.

I'll do some more poking around on the solenoid pigtail, just bought the multimeter so Im still learning..

You mentioned check my harness? that threw me off a bit

I'm just using one relay to reverse shift solenoid B
Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

If you want to test the PCM control, you need to disconnect the connector at the solenoid to eliminate power, and test the control side (PCM) for continuity to ground (good chassis ground) while activating the PCM control in the scanner.
ok this is the info I needed, thanks..

ill report back later
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

TCC Enable solenoid is the "on/off" solenoid in the 4L60E. The 4L80E doesn't use this solenoid.

TCC PWM solenoid is used in both units.(excluding 93-94 4L60E's that didn't have PWM control).

When doing the relay mod, the enable circuit can be used to on/off the PWM solenoid in the 4L80E.
OR the PWM circuit can be used to PWM the solenoid in the 4L80E.
If you PWM it, it requires two relays.

Your harness may be built with one or two relays. You will have to determine this.

When checking a circuit for power, even though you ground the circuit, it will still show voltage on the circuit.
i.e. You have power going into a trans solenoid (or an engine fuel injector) you will still have power going out the opposite side. (it's just a winding, essentially a long spool of continuous wire).
The multimeter reads the power in the circuit to whatever you ground it's common lead to but doesn't create enough ground to activate the device. If you ground the solenoid by the PCM control, there is still power in the circuit, the only difference is the solenoid has enough ground to pull in.
Alright sweet it worked, check continuity to trans pan when tcc was enabled and it beeped..

Quick Reply: P0740 code tcc solenoid