Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-Speed Valve Body for 4L80E Transmission . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I would take PATC's comment with a grain of salt.
Most likely the low volume was not enough for PATC to continue supporting/manufacturing the 6-speed VB.
That sounds 100% on target mrvedit! But I don't think PATC made the valve body, PCS did.

Vince McAllister vince.mcallister@powertraincontrol.com (new email address) recently wrote......"Our 5/6 speed valvebodies were in production in our own shop, however having them outsourced would've been quite expensive. Our efforts are focused on larger volume sales. The 5/6speed valve body is a very specific part and requires a very expensive gear set to adapt into a 6 speed so the cost of the investment isn't for everyone. We no longer sell the TCM2000 and dont have plans of making calibrations for the TCM2800 for it to run a 5/6 speed 4L80E valve body. Just because we can control a transmission, does not mean we support it for the aftermarket. With that being said, here is a list of the transmissions we do support for the aftermarket.
https://www.powertraincontrolsolutio...ness_Drawings/"

For those of you looking for old stock of the PCS 6 Speed Valve Body for their 4L80E and plan to use a TCM-2000, you will also need a TCM-4100-002 harness (same 4 speed harness) to join the two.

Last edited by jacb; 10-17-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Oops, I corrected my typo; obviously I meant PCS even as I was looking at their website.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jacb

If I cant get the PCS 6 Speed Valve body I may have to look once again at the TCI 6x but there were many issues with their valve body some of which were described here: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/6-sp...0e-285594.html

To be fair to TCI that thread was back in 2014 .... I have written to TCI to ask if any mods have been made since then? Eg Do they now offer engine breaking?
I have just had a reply from TCI .... Quite interesting:

"We have not been having any issues with any excessive O/D Clutch failure rates in these units.

The only legitimate issues that I was aware of was a converter clutch circuit feed issue which has been addressed with a Sonnax Valve assembly to cure the problem.

We have recently upgraded the valve bodies to allow the engine braking function, this was done within the last year. The 4L80E and the 4L85E transmissions are much more similar than they are different, the hard parts upgraded in the factory units (4L85E) are replicated with our own parts in the TCI 6X (4L80E).

In all honesty, I am not aware of these units having a "Brutal Shift" and the shift firmness can be modified with the TCU settings. With that being said, the TCI 6X does have firmer shifts than an OEM style 4L80E, but it should not be exceedingly harsh
."

So to sum up:

Are shifts firm compared with standard 4L80E: Yes
Engine Breaking: Yes
TCI 6X (based on 4L80E) as strong as an OEM 4L85E: Yes

They also sent a full EZ-TCU User Guide .... To view the guide click Here

Last edited by jacb; 10-18-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Any Feeback on the 6 Speed Valve Body for 4L80E?

Hello,

I'm building a towing truck and would like to mate a 4L80E to a 383 Stroker.

It might be a nice performance add to install the PCS 6 to the build.

Did you try it? if so, any feedback?

Kevin Hathaway
Leoma, TN

Quick Reply: 6-Speed Valve Body for 4L80E Transmission . . .