Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e no forward gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BBerthod
Mine blew up in my '05 Tahoe. Sounded like a 12 gauge going off. Had no forward gears, only reverse. I'm an engine guy, don't know much about autos. I mainly run sticks. Anyone have any ideas what that would be
Ohh thats a normal operation of our tranny. Welcome to the club. Sometimes 4L60e goes powerstroke on you.
That was the Pump rotor, Forward sprag, 4 pinion planetary or maybe the input shaft.
This requires dissasembly and inspection.

Drop the tranny and tear it down, Trust me, you'll find whats wrong with it.
If youre on a good budget, Just order a built and upgraded one from Mr Frank @performabuilt .

If you want to build it yourself, there are tons of guides here. Years of searches and you will succeed building it.
But before you do that, go to youtube and search for Transmission bench channel, put 2x speed on the playback to save yourself a few months of life time and learn all his 4l60e videos.

Last edited by Edward Stark; 11-04-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 525 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by BBerthod
Mine blew up in my '05 Tahoe. Sounded like a 12 gauge going off. Had no forward gears, only reverse. I'm an engine guy, don't know much about autos. I mainly run sticks. Anyone have any ideas what that would be
You haven't given much information but most likely the forward sprag broke and the trans will have to be torn down to be cleaned out and repaired. At that point you may as well just rebuild the whole thing, since you will have it all apart anyway.

Quick Reply: 4l60e no forward gears