Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is '06 4L60E pump and '04 pump interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pump in a '06 4L60E has one spring and the pump off a 04 4l60E has two springs. So I was wondering...can I put a pump off a '04 4L60E in a '06 4L60E transmission?

Last edited by Freefallin; 08-03-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

All '04 pumps are non-ISS and many (most?) '06 pumps are ISS (Input Speed Sensor) and not interchangeable. Look at the Sonnax instructions at the bottom of this page:
http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2168#tabs1-instructions

Note the "Early pump cover" and "Late pump cover" pictures. If both pumps are identical in this area they should be interchangeable, but many (most?) '06 pumps will be "late pump cover" model.

Also what do you mean by "one spring" and "two springs"? Are you referring to the pump slide spring? Very early (e.g. '94) pumps had two springs but as far as I know, GM changed to just one stiffer spring around '98. The Transgo and Sonnax shift kits include an even stiffer spring for higher rpm operation.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrvedit
All '04 pumps are non-ISS and many (most?) '06 pumps are ISS (Input Speed Sensor) and not interchangeable. Look at the Sonnax instructions at the bottom of this page:
http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2168#tabs1-instructions

Note the "Early pump cover" and "Late pump cover" pictures. If both pumps are identical in this area they should be interchangeable, but many (most?) '06 pumps will be "late pump cover" model.

Also what do you mean by "one spring" and "two springs"? Are you referring to the pump slide spring? Very early (e.g. '94) pumps had two springs but as far as I know, GM changed to just one stiffer spring around '98. The Transgo and Sonnax shift kits include an even stiffer spring for higher rpm operation.
Talking about the high/low pressure slide spring.

So if I don't have a 06 pump to compare with, how can I know what year a particular pump is?I?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Look carefully at the pics on the Sonnax site that I linked to.
Especially look at where the boost valve inserts into the pump.
Late-model pumps have a square cutout area for boost valve while older (pre-06) do not.

Also '06+ ISS pumps have a hole and mounting area for the ISS sensor.

Here is a picture of a new-style pump with ISS - note the square cutout on the bottom left for the boost valve. Also the wiring for the ISS. (The clip for the ISS wiring is in front of the boost valve, making it difficult to change the boost valve with the trans in the car.)

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l800...22449080_1.jpg
Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Look carefully at the pics on the Sonnax site that I linked to.
Especially look at where the boost valve inserts into the pump.
Late-model pumps have a square cutout area for boost valve while older (pre-06) do not.
You mean this...

Also '06+ ISS pumps have a hole and mounting area for the ISS sensor.

Here is a picture of a new-style pump with ISS - note the square cutout on the bottom left for the boost valve. Also the wiring for the ISS. (The clip for the ISS wiring is in front of the boost valve, making it difficult to change the boost valve with the trans in the car.)

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l800...22449080_1.jpg
A little confused here. Are you talking about the same thing as above...what I've circled in red?

Last edited by Freefallin; 08-04-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Freefallin
You mean this...

A little confused here. Are you talking about the same thing as above...what I've circled in red?
Yes, exactly. Those two types are pumps are not interchangeable.
Also older pumps seal with an o-ring slotted into the pump housing while newer pumps are smooth and the seal is built into the case.

However the biggest issue is the ISS. Regardless of the Boost-valve style and sealing style, an ISS and non ISS pump are not interchangeable; the position of the teflon seals on the input shaft are even different.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

FYI - ISS per Transgo started March 2005

http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...product_id=185

Quick Reply: Is '06 4L60E pump and '04 pump interchangeable?