Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visiting Finish Line Transmissions (FLT)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Default Visiting Finish Line Transmissions (FLT)

I recently had the opportunity to visit sponsor Finish Line Transmissions (FLT) and meet owner Chuck and master mechanic Adam. They are located in the Chicago area, very near O'Hare Airport.

FLT has an impeccable reputation and it didn't take long to see this is due to their thorough testing, custom machining, careful assembly and attention to every detail.

In the following picture owner Chuck has just finished a thorough test on his elaborate transmission dyno:

Every trans is dyno tested on their electric motor powered dyno. Unlike a gas/diesel powered dyno, their electric one runs quietly and they can listed for any unusual noises from inside the trans.

For the test, the cooling lines are hooked up, pressure gauges are connected to all available ports and a computer plugged in. While putting the trans under significant load, they verify that the trans shifts into all gears, has no unusual noises and that the line pressure matches the commanded line pressure from the computer.

When complete, the fluid is drained, a new filter installed and the trans is packaged for shipping.

As can be seen in this picture, FLT works on the full variety of GM transmissions, including the 6L80E and has a huge number of spare parts and cores available:

An exclusive feature of FLT is that each 4L60E/4L65E pump is machined to have a perfect rotor surface and absolutely flat pump halves.
Here is a picture of the inside of a used pump, which many builders would just try to clean up with a bit of emery cloth:

However, FLT machines the pump to have a perfect rotor surface; since of the depth of the rotor is critical, the entire pump surface has to be machined down an equal amount, which also ensures it is flat.

I have seen brand new pumps, and this is better than brand new.

Here Chuck is setting up his industrial lathe to machine a pump:

A "detail" that really impressed me occurred when I looked into a trash bucket of old parts and noticed a planetary carrier. I pulled it out and it looked perfect to me; I even checked the end play of the gears and saw no wear on them. I asked Chuck why it was thrown out. He answered that it came out of a broken transmission that had metal shavings in it. Since he cannot be absolutely sure of cleaning out all metal from the carrier assembly, in these situations he tosses them and installs a new one.

In summary, I hope this gives you some idea of the extra steps that go into building and testing a top quality product, something most local builders and do-it-yourselfers are unlikely to match.

And many thanks to Chuck and Adam for the significant amount of time they spent with me.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had my trans built by Chuck, TOP TOP notch guy, always called and kept me updated, gave me the grand tour of the shop and the entire process, treated me like an A+++ customer, cant tell you how glad i am to have such a great trans builder so local to me!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Very cool. I knew after talking to chuck when i bought a trans from him, I was buying a quality product.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 PM
FormerVendor

Nice pictures, if you ever find yourself in the DFW area of Texas with some time to kill, give us a shout! Also interesting to note, FLT has almost the exact same lathe as us, green color and all
Old 09-21-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for this mrvedit, I love to see posts like this! You forgot their URL: http://www.finishlinetrans.com/ I met the FLT guys at a Speed Inc. Open House years ago and am local to both. When I had my trans failure last August, I opted for the services of Transmission Specialties Inc. in Addison, IL http://tsiracing.com/ who another shop referred me to, I was swayed largely due to the in-depth knowledgeable conversation I received when talking w/Owner Don Stanley there, more so than what I got from whoever the guy was answering at FLT.

It always pays to do your homework on automotive shops, and I would encourage everyone to start visiting and learning about shops BEFORE you have a failure, so you are not in a position to make a rushed-decision if the time comes!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Teching In

2x

Yes- Thanks to Mrvedit for his trip report!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 PM

A $100 option to seriously consider on any FLT 4L60E is a stronger billet pump rotor.
While not extremely common, pump rotor failures are also not rare and cause extensive damage, completely ruining the pump, spreading metal throughout the trans and converter, requiring rebuilds of both.

In this picture, the stock rotor is on the left and FLT's billet rotor on the right:

Especially people planning to rev 7000+ rpm or using Nitrous should consider a billet pump rotor. It is believed that occasional casting porosity in the stock rotor makes it more likely to fail, especially at high rpm or from Nitrous' rapid acceleration.

However it is believed that the most common reason for rotor failure is caused by rough installation of the converter, especially slamming the converter into its final position. The stock rotor is hardened to prevent it from wearing, but this hardening also makes the metal more brittle (think glass) and susceptible to cracks from slamming in the converter.

A billet rotor is machined from a solid piece of extruded metal and not cast; therefore it will have no casting porosity. And it is not as brittle when hardened.
While an incorrectly installed converter will damage any pump, a billet rotor can handle frequent converter swaps and high rpm operation.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck is an awesome guy and has helped me out when I was in a bind with my Jakes 4l80e. I have nothing but great things to say about FLT. Will have him refresh my 80e.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm running a FLT level 4 in my car and couldn't be any happier on how it's performing.

I was also able to talk to Chuck over the phone who is a very knowledgable person with great service. He worked out a good deal for me and kept me posted on the build process. These are the type of businesses we need!
Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I was a customer of Chuck when his operation was still part of FLP, prior to the trans business splitting off. The 4L60E that he built me was nothing short of the finest OD transmission I have ever experienced.

When I do a new crate motor for my '71, I plan to take my current TH350 to him for a full refresh as well, since it currently has an unknown history.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Just an fyi for LS1 tech members, were running our (10% off) Thanksgiving sale on all FLT transmissions through the end of this month.

Chuck

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...ving-sale.html

Last edited by FLT; 11-19-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:26 PM

I was just talking to Chuck at Finish Line Transmissions (FLT) today about a new supplier for a 4L60E billet output shaft. They are implementing his suggestions and he hopes to have them available within a month.

BTW - I confirmed that his 10% off sale is still running, but just for a few more days.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I've supplied several billet output shafts to other builders in the last 3-4 weeks.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I was just talking to Chuck at Finish Line Transmissions (FLT) today about a new supplier for a 4L60E billet output shaft. They are implementing his suggestions and he hopes to have them available within a month.

BTW - I confirmed that his 10% off sale is still running, but just for a few more days.
At what HP/TQ range would it be a good idea to get the billet output shaft? I'm not anywhere close to making the power for it, just curious.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say anything above 600 fwhp in a 3500-3800 lb combo, less in a truck or heavy combo.

I'm not real keen on adding billet shafts to a 4L60E because it's still going to have the weak 3-4 apply area and forward sprag. This is where the 4L80E comes in but I do also understand that it's not realistic in some combos.
That's where FLT comes in. Let these guys build the 4L60E when you are pushing the limits.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FLT and Chuck have always been great to me. Their sticker is the only one on my Turbo TA. My level 7 4l60e has gone 9s at 3850lbs and is 4 years old now with about 12k street miles. Im looking forward to a freshen this year and many more years of abuse.

Quick Reply: Visiting Finish Line Transmissions (FLT)