Sponsored by:

Neutral saftey switch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Neutral saftey switch issue?

2000 Ws6 A4

Anyone else have this issue? Sometimes when I go to start the car it wont crank, and the check gauges light pops on the cluster. I have to move the shifter back and fourth through the gears (sometimes roughly) before the car will start. It'll go through stretch's where it wont do it, but then sometimes its every time I shut the car off. I can be at a gas station when it decides to not start and I end up looking like a madman assaulting my shifter while people are waiting to pull in

Does this sound like a NSS issue or something else? Is there a way to bypass the NSS?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
2000 Ws6 A4

Anyone else have this issue? Sometimes when I go to start the car it wont crank, and the check gauges light pops on the cluster. I have to move the shifter back and fourth through the gears (sometimes roughly) before the car will start. It'll go through stretch's where it wont do it, but then sometimes its every time I shut the car off. I can be at a gas station when it decides to not start and I end up looking like a madman assaulting my shifter while people are waiting to pull in

Does this sound like a NSS issue or something else? Is there a way to bypass the NSS?
Lol, I feel your pain. When I spliced mine for my shifter it acted up on me at a gas station and I looked the same.

I believe the wires for the nss are the green and orange. To by pass them, simply cut and tie the wires back together coming from the vcm. I believe that's the colors though, next time I pull my console I'll look to see if that's right or not
Old 11-29-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Lol, I feel your pain. When I spliced mine for my shifter it acted up on me at a gas station and I looked the same.

I believe the wires for the nss are the green and orange. To by pass them, simply cut and tie the wires back together coming from the vcm. I believe that's the colors though, next time I pull my console I'll look to see if that's right or not
Thanks for the info. Im sure I can figure out the wires, I just wanted to make sure it was a nss issue.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying it is for sure. It I was having to the the exact same thing when I swapped shifters and that's what's it ended up being
Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I'm not saying it is for sure. It I was having to the the exact same thing when I swapped shifters and that's what's it ended up being
I hear ya. I believe it is though. I already have the vats disabled, so that shouldn't be causing anything.

Quick Reply: Neutral saftey switch issue?