Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Shift problems

Just finished swapping a 4L60e into my 02 trans am and after putting on the shift linkage, I ran into some problems.. When I had the tranny shift lever set to park and console gear selector set to P, I shifted all the way down to 1, no problems. Shifting back up to P tho, it felt like it had no tension on the cable and I could feel that it didn't shift at all. So I was back at P on the console gear selector but still at 1 on the tranny. Tried adjusting the shift linkage and still no luck. Maybe im doing it wrong but on both extremes of the adjustment there wasn't enough tension to shift the tranny back up to park. Any ideas????? Thanks
Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the car in NEUTRAL when adjusting the shifter cable. Try that and get back to us. ENSURE the trans is in neutral. Very hard to understand but start with the shift shaft positioned in PARK then work you way into neutral very carefully Then install the cable.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the method I used and it didn't work. I don't know if you were referring to my post as hard to understand but either way when I said CONSOLE gear selector I mean INSIDE the car and when I said "Tranny" shift lever, I mean on the actual tranny. Lol Hopefully that helps
Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Make sure that the adjuster lock on the shift cable is holding and that the two ears that hold the cable bracket that is bolted to the trans pan is not broken. This can be easily check by have someone move the shifter through all positions from park all of the way to low and back to park while you are watching the cable under the car. If the adjuster lock or cable mounting ears are broken you will be able to shift all the way down to low but when shifting back to park the cable will slide through the lock or pull out of the bracket.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Shift problems