Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will TC not locking cause trans damage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Will TC not locking cause trans damage?

Dropped off my DD to get a rear main seal replaced (2000 Camaro 3.8L, 4L60-E). I took it to a transmission shop since their labor was way cheaper since 95% of the job is pulling the transmission.

Shop said only half the transmission bellhousing bolts were put back in, and it probably caused some damage from everything vibrating around (I did notice that the car vibrated more than normal after I got it back from having the motor swapped a couple years ago). They asked me to tell them who the heck worked on the car last, so they can make sure everyone they know steers clear of them.

They also advised me that my torque converter might be bad because I have a stored 1870 code. I had this code a while ago, along with occasional very hard 1-2 shifts. Its a common problem, and they sell an upgraded TCC Valve replacement kit to fix it, which I did a couple years ago.

I do notice that I do still get an occasional hard shift about once a month, which is better than every few days like before... and I also think that my torque converter doesn't always lock (about half the time I'm at full speed on the highway, it seems like i'm idling a couple hundred RPMS more than I should be.

So my question here: is that if the torque converter isn't always locking properly... will that cause any long term damage to the trans, or am I just wasting gas? They told me its $150 to drop the pan and diagnose, plus another $250-ish to replace the converter IF that's the issue. Dunno if I want to dump another $400 into that car ontop of everything else. I was only planning on keeping the car another couple years max.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The code 1870 indicates the converter is slipping when it should be locked up.
The most common reason is a worn out TCC valve, but it sounds like you already replace it. A worn out converter certainly is possible too, especially if you allowed it to slip a lot before replacing the valve. Do you know if it was replaced with an OEM TCC valve or a "On/Off" valve like the Fitzall?

Driving without TCC lockup will hurt your trans a little because of additional heat. However in easy driving it shouldn't matter, just burn more gas.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, valve was replaced with the on/off style valve.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's still not locking even with the replacement on/off TCC regulator valve, would that possibly suggest a worn TCC apply valve?

Quick Reply: Will TC not locking cause trans damage?