Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With 700R4 Beast Sunshell Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With 700R4 Beast Sunshell Install

I have installed a beast sunshell in a 700R4 tranny and it stacks too high and I cannot install the tailshaft C-clip. I have reinspected the stackup several times and cannot find the issue.

Currently the black plastic thrust washer that came with the beast sunshell is installed on the back side of the sunshell. The original brass washer that was installed inside the original sunshell is currently installed inside the beast sunshell.

I think I remember seeing something in regards to the stackup being different when I installed the beast in my 4L60E a couple years ago but dont remember when I found the info. It is not addressed in the ATSG manuals for the 4L60e or 700R4.

I have seen other threads on the topic but nothing difinitive. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks! Charlie
Old 04-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you remove the washer that sits on the inner race? The black plastic one that comes with the Beast sun shell replaces it.
The following users liked this post:
ZBrink (04-23-2023)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MPTrans.
Did you remove the washer that sits on the inner race? The black plastic one that comes with the Beast sun shell replaces it.
Im not sure what you mean by inner race.

the black plastic one that came with the beast is installed on the back side of the beast and the OEM brass washer is installed on the front side of the beast.

Thank you!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The low/reverse inner race is what the sunshell sits on top of. If you look inside the case, the OEM one sits on top of the race (usually a black plastic one also) you will need to remove it.
The following users liked this post:
ZBrink (04-23-2023)
Old 04-08-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Did you replace any other hard parts?
- If you upgrade to the new style reaction carrier shaft you use its torrington bearing instead of the 4-tab bushing on top of the sun shell.

Did you press in new bushings?
In a recent rebuilt thread the OP had a similar problem and discovered one bushing that was not pressed in far enough. Look at the picture in post #47 to see how the OP built the assembly outside the case to figure out what was wrong:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-thread-3.html
Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Default Update and Fix

So, yesterday I removed everything again, down to the low reverse set, restacked about 5 times and it still wouldnt give clearance to install tailshaft c-clip, even with original parts installed.

I went ahead and removed the low/reverse clutch set, checked all bearings(didnt change anythin), put it back together and it fit perfectly...

So, I actually do not know what the fix was but it is put together now and I believe it will be ok.

seems one of the bearings may not have been located/seated properly or something.

Anyhow, thank you guys for the assistance. I really apprecieat it.

Mrvedit, I did replace the planet set below the beast. It did have the same style shell. I have not replaced any bushings as of yet. All the bushings in the back of the tranny are in good condition.

Thank you all for the assistance!!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Glad to hear you got it figured out and assembled.
The same problem comes up several times per year and I am trying to learn what the most common issues/mistakes/solutions are.

Not sure you fully understood what I was saying about the Sonnax Smart shell - the planet design isn't different, the shell design is different. Their website explains it:
http://www.sonnax.com/landing_pages/smartshell
Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Most likely the inner race of the low roller clutch was not seated all the way onto the rear planet carrier.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
Most likely the inner race of the low roller clutch was not seated all the way onto the rear planet carrier.
BBond105, That may have been the case. I dod check it at least a half dozen times. I couldnt fix it until I restacked the low/reverse set and rear thrust bearing.

Dunno... It was a real head scratcher though for a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Help With 700R4 Beast Sunshell Install