Sponsored by:

Torque converter bolt installation - nothing is threaded

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque converter bolt installation - nothing is threaded

I am doing a M6 to Th400 swap.

Flex-plate is on, converter is in, in measures a perfect 0.187 between flex-plate and converter pads,

I went to put the 3 supplied torque converter bolts in to bolt the converter to the flex-plate (or flex-pate to converter?) and neither the flex-plate or the converter has threaded holes.

The supplied bolts are a bit too big to fit through any of the flex-plate holes first, and, looking from the back of the torque converter mounting pads, if I put the bolts through the back of those towards the flex-plate, they go right through to hit the flex-plate and it doesn't appear they are threaded in there at all either.

Any ideas?

Auto-Newbie JasonP
Old 05-27-2015, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Converter should be threaded. Thats all I got.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

The flex plate should not be threaded, the converter should be threaded. If you can post a picture of the converter pad bolt holes
Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

since the bolts won't go through the flex plate, they are the wrong ones. are you SURE the converter isn't threaded?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably have been supplied 7/16 bolts which may require enlarging the holes in your flexplate. You will then need a nut to fasten the torque converter. This is not uncommon for the non lockup converters out there.

-Brian
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circle-D_Brian
You probably have been supplied 7/16 bolts which may require enlarging the holes in your flexplate. You will then need a nut to fasten the torque converter. This is not uncommon for the non lockup converters out there.

-Brian
Yes!
You know your stuff. Thank you!

I just got a tech support answer from the convertor company (FTI) for anyone else that runs into this issue:

"That is our 8" converter and the holes are not threaded. You will need to use both bolt and nut in this particular application. As far as the bolts not fitting through the flexplate you're going to have to drill the holes out in the flexplate because the bolts we supplied are 7/16, factory size being 3/8 so a lot of flexplate manufactures make the holes fit 3/8. Use a 29/64 drill bit to enlarge the holes, this drill size is just slightly larger than 7/16 giving you a little wiggle room. Hopefully this clears everything up, if you are in doubt about anything please do not hesitate to ask!"

Thank you everyone
Now to see how accurately I can drill flexplates while installed in the car... there is no way I am dropping the transmission again, it took me two years to get it in!

Quick Reply: Torque converter bolt installation - nothing is threaded