Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew my transmission. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew my transmission. Suggestions?

As the title says, I blew the 4L60E in my 02 Camaro Z28. Happened earlier today, I was racing someone off the line, it dropped a gear and really punched the torque. It was my first time doing that since I got a new exhaust, so really the first test put to it with the new power. Seems it was enough to break it. It shifts up at a much higher RPM now (3-3.5K vice 2-2.5K), and my reverse is gone. I'm at 163,xxx miles, so it's really not unexpected. I won the race, so at least I have that.

Anyway, wondering what y'all would suggest; rebuild my 4l60E, pick a new one up from eBay or what-not and drop it in, or jump to a 4l80E. Whatever I decided to do, Doug Rippe Motorsports will be doing the work, so I'm not worried about that. I just need to tell them what to do.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Teching In

If your planning on keeping it for a while I would do the 80 it was money well spent.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

For a non-adder engine, have a performance oriented shop rebuild your trans, or purchase from one of the sponsors - FLT, RPM or Performabuilt. FLT is closest to you. There is too much variability on ebay and these are very finicky transmissions that have to be rebuilt very carefully requiring a lot of labor.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Teching In

mrvedit, I saw your name a ton of times while I was reading through the forums and researching options. Thank you for all the advice you give out.

I decided to get an FLT street/strip level IV with a Yank SS3600. Yank is sending the converter straight to FLT, where they will test it, then they're sending it to DRM who will be doing the install. The ball's already rolling. Chuck with FLT and Dave with Yank were both a huge help. I'm kinda glad my transmission blew, as it gave me a good excuse to do this.

Now trying to decide if I should still go with that 3.42 rear end I was about to buy for install before this happened.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3.42 is a perfect match with the ss 3600. I have that combination and love it.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

You are going to be super happy with the FLT and Yank combo! It should last you a long time.
I originally had a Yank SS3600 with 3.42 but switch to 3.73 for tighter feel in street driving. It didn't make much difference at the track.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamer0364
I decided to get an FLT street/strip level IV with a Yank SS3600. Yank is sending the converter straight to FLT, where they will test it, then they're sending it to DRM who will be doing the install. The ball's already rolling. Chuck with FLT and Dave with Yank were both a huge help. I'm kinda glad my transmission blew, as it gave me a good excuse to do this.
This is the exact route I went when I bought a new transmission. Dave and Chuck were great to deal with and I have been very happy with my yank/flt combo.

Quick Reply: Blew my transmission. Suggestions?