Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e slipping on freeways

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e slipping on freeways

I have an original to the car 4l60e with 81k miles with a trans cooler. The past few days on my way home going about 70-75mph I try to accelerate and I hear strange shifting noise that I think is a common slip noise and the car revs almost like its in neutral but I gain only a few mph at 4k rpms. Slowing down will usually cure this, especially if I get off the freeway it will act normal. Trans temp only gets past 185 on very hot days with lots of city stop and go shifting, however on one occasion, the second time it slipped. I was still cursing at 65-70, and the temp climbed to 190. It happened to be right before my exit and as soon as I got to normal road speeds of 50mph the temp dropped which I thought was opposite of usual behavior.

I took it to a trans shop close to my house and they had it for 2 says and put 39 miles on it and found no issue and could not replicate the slip, the highest the temp got for them was 175. They did say there were some metal shavings on top of the filter but not an amount to worry about. Picked it up this morning and it slipped on me on my way to work going 80 mph and trans temp was only 165.

Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I have an original to the car 4l60e with 81k miles with a trans cooler. The past few days on my way home going about 70-75mph I try to accelerate and I hear strange shifting noise that I think is a common slip noise and the car revs almost like its in neutral but I gain only a few mph at 4k rpms. Slowing down will usually cure this, especially if I get off the freeway it will act normal. Trans temp only gets past 185 on very hot days with lots of city stop and go shifting, however on one occasion, the second time it slipped. I was still cursing at 65-70, and the temp climbed to 190. It happened to be right before my exit and as soon as I got to normal road speeds of 50mph the temp dropped which I thought was opposite of usual behavior.

I took it to a trans shop close to my house and they had it for 2 says and put 39 miles on it and found no issue and could not replicate the slip, the highest the temp got for them was 175. They did say there were some metal shavings on top of the filter but not an amount to worry about. Picked it up this morning and it slipped on me on my way to work going 80 mph and trans temp was only 165.

Any ideas?
sorry i misread your post
Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like the notorious worn out and slipping 3-4 clutch. Strange that the shop could not replicate it. As the trans warm up the fluid thins out and the line pressure goes down a bit; that would be why you notice the slipping more when hot.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know, if the 3-4 clutch is indeed the culprit, how involved the repair is? IE: Total rebuild, or quick fix with no need to drop the tranny? The amount of parts in autos scare me too much to tackle myself, I think I'll take it somewhere else for a second opinion but a good trans shop is hard to find and this is my only car. Being that this just started, how long do you think I have before I start doing more damage just by driving it?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost total disassemble is required. Id try some lucas trans slip fix with a fluid and filter change. That worked for me in several other vehicles as long as it still pulls before you do it. Id also suggest 1/2 throttle or less until your ready for a rebuild.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 3-4 when out on me, not even sprinting driving. I was heading to a cruise-in and started slipping. Checked the fluid and looked fine on the dip stick. Drove home basicly with a 2 speed trans cause in 3/4 would slip with rpms above 2000. Pulled it and took it up to FLT and they opened it up. Found the locking ring that holds 3/4 cluch pack together disintegrated along with other failed parts. Needless to say they rebuilt it and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

Sounds like you will need a rebuild at least with better than stock parts.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:21 PM

I believe there are kits for our transmissions, includes almost everything we need and even stuff we don't online

Quick Reply: 4l60e slipping on freeways