Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle/Ting From Under The Car, Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle/Ting From Under The Car, Any Ideas?

I don't think nobody is going to answer this, but I will post anyways. When shifting from Reverse to Drive, or vise versa, there is a noticable rattle, more of a rapid ting, ting, ting from under the car for a very brief moment until the Tranny fully engages. This happens everytime I back up from pulling in somwhere. Any ideas? I am thinking Driveshaft/Exhaust/Tranny, hell I don't know. Sometimes it happens if I shift from D to OD while moving I can hear it, again this is only for a brief second. So it is pretty loud of a rattle/ting noise. The car drives normal and has no problems, just that damn noise when shifting.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar noises, but it turned out to be a bad tensioner pulley at the bottom of the engine. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Launching!

I know what you mean, I changed those pulleys out already from a noise similar to this one. This noise with the shifting is not as loud as the pulley though. I am just curious if anyone else has similar issues when the car shifts.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

I hear a sound like that when shifting into reverse from park if my windows are down. No idea what it is - betcha it's "normal."
Old 06-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Teching In

I have a noise that sounds close to that but i only hear it when i am stopped and then start again after a brief moment, like at a stop light. it goes away when I reach about 20mph
Old 06-09-2004, 01:28 AM
10 Second Club

Do you have an alum drive shaft? I have heard that those make a ting sound when putting them in rev from park or drive.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

You're right - I've heard that in the past and forgot about it. I'm sure that's what it is.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Launching!

This has always boggled me!!!! So thats what the hell this ping is
Old 06-22-2004, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

This also just started on my car 98Z28- 82,000 miles only when I reverse. I shift into (d) and it is gone It seems to be at warm up though,also I use to hear It clunk before when i would give the car very little gas(in parking lot or mall) not even past 4mph then i started giving it gas(10-15mph) and no more clunk. I was going to have this checked but it doesn't clunk no more.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car made the infamous tink noise which turned out to be the driveshaft. It was replaced under warranty, the replacement shafts are filled with foam to deaden the noise, at least that's what the maechanic told me when he swapped em.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does the noise sound like rattling coins? Many LS1s I've heard make this noise occasionally, and on mine it turned out to be loose internals on the O2 sensor. You could bang on the catback and hear it.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Look what I found:
Q: I have a 98 or 99 LS1 F-body with an automatic transmission, and each time I put my car into gear from park and each time I accelerate from a stop, there is a ping or tinking noise that sounds from underneath my car. Where is this coming from and how do I fix it?

A: This is a problem with the automatics that have an aluminum driveshaft. The aluminum driveshaft comes standard on the cars with the 3.23 (GU5) rear end. Although there is no TSB to fix this, if you have the dealer replace the driveshaft with a new one, the sound will go away. However most people who had this repair done report that it comes back. As of this time, there doesn’t appear to be a permanent fix other than replacing the driveshaft with a carbon fiber one.
Reference
Old 07-04-2004, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I reported a clicking noise at warm up, well i opened up the hood had someone press on the break while the car was in reverse and the noise came for the top pully, passenger side.

What is happening is the pulley or pulley tensioner as Brake Masters called it has a spring that gets warn out and the pulley tensioner hits the aluminum on the block, Except that it did not do this before I had them replace the belts. And I have already had the belts replaced with out this problum occuring, but this was not the same shop.

Looks to me they over stretched the tension pully belt and its hiting the aluminum block when warming up the car. Should I loosen the belt on pulley tensioner or replace the pulley tensioner?

Again its the top pulley on the pasenger side.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroB4C
Look what I found:
Q: I have a 98 or 99 LS1 F-body with an automatic transmission, and each time I put my car into gear from park and each time I accelerate from a stop, there is a ping or tinking noise that sounds from underneath my car. Where is this coming from and how do I fix it?

A: This is a problem with the automatics that have an aluminum driveshaft. The aluminum driveshaft comes standard on the cars with the 3.23 (GU5) rear end. Although there is no TSB to fix this, if you have the dealer replace the driveshaft with a new one, the sound will go away. However most people who had this repair done report that it comes back. As of this time, there doesn’t appear to be a permanent fix other than replacing the driveshaft with a carbon fiber one.
Reference
Don't know if it's true or not, but heard that 2001 and up has a better drive shaft. Maybe those other people were replacing their's with the same year again??? Another option is...LGM has a new shaft to correct this problem!
Old 07-04-2004, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98LS1rocket
I reported a clicking noise at warm up, well i opened up the hood had someone press on the break while the car was in reverse and the noise came for the top pully, passenger side.

What is happening is the pulley or pulley tensioner as Brake Masters called it has a spring that gets warn out and the pulley tensioner hits the aluminum on the block, Except that it did not do this before I had them replace the belts. And I have already had the belts replaced with out this problum occuring, but this was not the same shop.

Looks to me they over stretched the tension pully belt and its hiting the aluminum block when warming up the car. Should I loosen the belt on pulley tensioner or replace the pulley tensioner?

Again its the top pulley on the pasenger side.
Mine was the bottom tensioner pulley, and I had Chevy fix it. The tab was $170!!! So if you want to save some money, better fix it your self. I don't think loosening the belt is going to change things that much. Just my .02
Old 07-05-2004, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

i had it with my stock ds and still have it after changing the whole drivetrain. except now its more of a clunk then a ting. goes real well with the piston slap.

Quick Reply: Rattle/Ting From Under The Car, Any Ideas?