Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e storage question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 4l60e storage question

Finally got my wiring issues sorted out with the LT1 restomod. This drivetrain sat in my garage for about three years and I don't know how long prior. When we installed it into my car, I checked the fluid level and it was reading full. Now, I still had to have it towed back to my home due to the fact I installed the new water pump gaskets cockeyed. After it was placed onto the street I drove it into my garage, but it seemed like the trans was slipping. The tow truck driver thought that I would need to run the motor for a few minutes in order to get the fluid into the converter and get it flowing through the trans. Does that make sense? Or since its been sitting for so long, may there be a problem internally? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a rebuilt 700R4 sit in my garage for 12 years, I needed it 2 years ago and it went right in and works with no problems.

when you install the trans you have to check the trans fluid level constantly for a day or two, it isn't a fill and done, I filledmy 4l60 after instal and filled and filled and filled the torque converter will want more and the gears will pull up more! hope this helps
Old 08-09-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I put in a 4L60E the was sitting drained for a few years. As all the components are cycled eventually you'll reach the proper level,just got to keep topping off to proper level.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Running the engine for e.g. 10 minutes to warm up the trans and fully circulate the fluid sounds very reasonable. As mentioned, keep checking its level too.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all of the quick replies. I'll post again when I am ready to drive the car.

Quick Reply: 4l60e storage question