Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??

Hey guys,

Newbie learning as I go and think I might have got slightly shafted.

I picked up a wrecked '07 3500HD with LY6 and 6L90e 4x4 quite cheap, runs like a champ and I have a few 40s or 50s trucks at the farm one of which I wanted to stuff the drivetrain into. So I've got the drivetrain pulled, started in on the wiring but knew I needed to find a replacement transmission as I don't want 4WD I want 2WD. So I was on the hunt for a 6L90e 2WD version figuring it'd be easy to simply swap over and may have to learn how to tune the E38 accordingly but a good friend of mine who was big into old school racing said while I'm scouring I should look for a TH400 and to hell with new technology altogether!

Well, found someone with a good story about having this TH400 in his shop he bought years ago, knows nothing about it except for it was supposed to work, has the torque converter and yolk everything, $50 he just wants it out of his shop. So haul it home, pretty excited figuring for $50 hey worst case I got a cheap case best case I have a entire working transmission to play with! Anyway took off the TC and was looking around inside and saw a little piece of metal... so was fishing around inside and then a big piece broke off! Well ****. What to do now... Do I make the attempt to rebuild this TH400? I've never done one before, it's probably one of the easier of the autos to start on I guess being old school and tonnes of info on how to do it. Or do I sell it as needing a rebuild and probably get my $50 back and move onto finding something else maybe a 4L80 with a standalone controller or a 6L90e and use my ECM??

What's your guys thoughts? Again, I'm new to this and learning I know there is no right answer I can go whichever way I want, but nice hearing from the guys who have gone down this path before what they recommend.

Pictures show the pieces of metal I pulled out of the TC, and a zoomed in look of where I believe they came from. I think it's a bearing and this is part of the case for it or something??
Attached Thumbnails LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??-img_4761.jpg   LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??-img_4758_missing.jpg   LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??-img_4754.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Some more pics
Attached Thumbnails LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??-img_4728.jpg   LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??-img_4730.jpg   LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??-img_4731.jpg   LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??-img_4758.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

If it's within your budget I would go with the 4l80e, Just as strong as the 400 and you get the benefit of overdrive.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
If it's within your budget I would go with the 4l80e, Just as strong as the 400 and you get the benefit of overdrive.
I'm somewhat trying to be on the "rat rod" budget of under $3K total. I got the '07 for $2K and drove to over 60miles so I was pretty happy with it, it's crew cab/loaded leather etc etc so figure I can part it out and recoup most the costs. The S10 I'm using for the frame I got a '94 complete truck in rough shape and not running for free... so I was doing pretty good staying within budget! But finding a good 2WD 4L80 or 6L90 is proving difficult, and when they so turn up people want $1K+ for the 6L90 and at least $600-$800 for a 4L80, And crap thing about that is it's still a used tranny so some risk having to take the guys word it's in good shape. I live in central Canada, so selection is semi-limited

The 4L80e would be great but I'd need to either get a standalone controller or learn how to reprogram my ECM to control it... I know someone suggested to load the program from a '07 Savanna van because it came with the LY6 & 4L80 combo from factory... but I'm not sure how difficult that is to do? The wiring doesn't scare me much, but it's getting it to function properly where I'm coming up blank.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

If you are going fuel injection then flashing the ecm to control the trans isn't an issue, You'll have to get the ecu programmed anyway to remove VATS and a couple other things so you could just send it out and have it done or buy HP tuners or similar tuning software and do it yourself, Doing it yourself will have a learning curve but not impossible.

Quick Reply: LY6 Motor, bought used TH400 but found metal inside TC, rebuild or...??