Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E rebuild tools: Rent? Make your own?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Not the first time I've seen a Center Support snap ring like that on virgin cores, I bet it is just sloppy assembly.

Your case is fine! You do have some Selective Locating Lug Wear, I would "Rollerize" this unit because of that alone......The Selective will continue to wear the Lugs if you don't.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Not the first time I've seen a Center Support snap ring like that on virgin cores, I bet it is just sloppy assembly.

Your case is fine! You do have some Selective Locating Lug Wear, I would "Rollerize" this unit because of that alone......The Selective will continue to wear the Lugs if you don't.
What does "rollerize" mean? I assume that means add a bearing of some kind, how is this done? does it require machine work to the case?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is exactly what it means, Use a TH350 Pump Bearing GM# 9436851 too replace the Thrust & Selectable 3-Tab Washer, Use TH350 Front Endplay shims too set your Rear Endplay. Use a TH400 Case Bushing......Don't drive it all the way down, You want about .060"-.080" sticking up too locate the Bearing, Stake or Loctite the Case Bushing.

No machining required.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I read in another thread where you talk about rollerizing a transmission after grooves were found in the back of the case on teardown. Do you recommend rollerizing as a "hardcore" or "racing" mod, or is it something worthwhile for longevity? I've also seen where Jake mentioned he adds a torrington to the front of the trans, I think on the forward clutch drum, possibly. I'm just trying to build for durability. I tow a 7000 lb camper once in a while, but beyond, that, I pretty much just drive it to Home Depot to buy too much crap or to take my 5 year olds to get ice cream because they love how my truck sounds.

I was looking at doing dual-feed, Sonnax self-regulating valve, and BW clutches, new bushings, bearings, gaskets and seals. Maybe a new trans-go galvanized separator plate and torlon *****. someone (TGUI I think?) recommended I remove #8 and #9, which I'm still looking into. should I rollerize on top of that? or is that overkill?
Old 08-16-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Helomedic1171
Thank you for the reply. I read in another thread where you talk about rollerizing a transmission after grooves were found in the back of the case on teardown. Do you recommend rollerizing as a "hardcore" or "racing" mod, or is it something worthwhile for longevity? I've also seen where Jake mentioned he adds a torrington to the front of the trans, I think on the forward clutch drum, possibly. I'm just trying to build for durability. I tow a 7000 lb camper once in a while, but beyond, that, I pretty much just drive it to Home Depot to buy too much crap or to take my 5 year olds to get ice cream because they love how my truck sounds.

I was looking at doing dual-feed, Sonnax self-regulating valve, and BW clutches, new bushings, bearings, gaskets and seals. Maybe a new trans-go galvanized separator plate and torlon *****. someone (TGUI I think?) recommended I remove #8 and #9, which I'm still looking into. should I rollerize on top of that? or is that overkill?
If this is just a stock truck & no damage is present, No need to rollerize anything, Just make sure to set the Endplay! I covered Endplay in one of the threads you posted too.

Quick Reply: 4L80E rebuild tools: Rent? Make your own?