Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Output shaft rotational endplay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Output shaft rotational endplay?

Hi All,
How much rotational end play is normal from the output shaft on 4l60e?
When I grab the yoke and turn it back and forth with transmission in neutral, it rotates about 1-2 degrees before it grabs. This is a fresh rebuild only 200 miles on it.

When driving at highway speed with converter locked, going on and off the throttle results in a clunk you can feel on your feet in the car. Its like a bad U-joint except mine are brand new.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated

Thanks
Paul
Old 07-09-2016, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

There is no specs for that, 4L60E's can suffer from pretty bad Spline Wear.....Bad enough to cause noise usually caused by a overly firm 1-2 shifts and/or high mileage. I don't believe your going to be able to confirm that just by the Output Shaft, Check everything else first.....Like the Differential, Trans Mount, Engine Mounts, Subframe bolts, Front & rear Control Arms, Torque Arm Mount & the Torque Arm Bolts at the differential.

If it ends up being the trans, It goes to show that careful inspection of ALL components is a very important part of rebuilding a transmission!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Torsen differential does have a lot of play in it as well. Ring and pinion were just replaced, carrier has 105K on it.

I will be going through everything you mentioned shortly and tightening everything up if needed. Plan on prothane transmission mount as well. Already have poly engine mounts.
thanks
Paul

Quick Reply: Output shaft rotational endplay?