Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Camaro SS Transmission Issue: Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1998 Camaro SS Transmission Issue: Help!

Hello! First post on here so I am unsure if I am posting this in the right area. If there is already a post about this I apologize! Here it goes;

I have a 1998 Camaro SS that recently started to have slippage in the transmission (4L60E). I was about to put 2500miles on it for a road trip so I decided to get the transmission rebuilt at a reputable shop that I have used before. They replaced the 2-4 band during the rebuild. After 5 hours of driving I noticed it was "slipping" when I was in OD shifting to third. During gentle acceleration it was fine. However, when I was in OD and gave it moderate throttle to pass, it would just rev right up without an increase in speed. The car is now 2500 miles away from that shop so I can't bring it back to them.

Calling around to some local shops, I have been told to look at the MAF sensor as that supposedly directs line pressure to and from the transmission and as a result my transmission could be burnt again because of this faulty sensor.

One shop test drove the car and indicated that the car was "neutralizing" and not in fact slipping. The mechanic said that it was most likely from a sticky component in the valve body.

I am no transmission expert and now have had numerous diagnostics done with varying results. Before I take it in to a shop, I would like to have a better idea as to what might be the issue. What I have written is just forwarding on what the mechanics have passed on to me. I would appreciate any information or suggestions as to what I can check or test!
Old 01-17-2017, 04:58 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Transmission questions should be posted in the Transmission sections...I'll go ahead and move it for you.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:59 PM

Thanks so much, still figuring out the site!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My trans used to slip into gear with a bad MAF sensor caused by a K&N air filter. Seems like you had a bad shop fix the transmission though.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:21 PM

I am going to check out the MAF sensor first as its a cheap fix. I was surprised as this shop that I have used is purely a transmission shop and they have done numerous trans rebuilds for myself and friends with no prior issues.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro SS Transmission Issue: Help!