Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 4L60E rebuild possible??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004 | 08:57 AM
Launching!

Default DIY 4L60E rebuild possible??

How hard is it to rebuild a 4L60E? I have built a few engines , set-up rear ends etc... rebuilding an auto trans. scares the hell out of me though. I have the proper trans. tools for the 4L60E and a ATSG trans manual too.

Here is what I am working with; a 4L60E TCI trans that I am fairly certain is good. BradWS6 gave it to me when he went to a TH400 set-up. The trans only has 2 runs on it since it was "freshened' up. Only known issue is it won't shift from 1-2 without letting up on gas. Brad is fairly certain it is/was a cut wire in the harness or PCM.

I would like to take the trans apart and make sure everything is OK. Basically just give it the "once over". What is this on the "difficulty" scale? Should I attempt this on my own or just take it to a trans. shop? Any parts I should upgrade? Any advise, or help is greatly appreciated!

Darrin
Old 06-24-2004 | 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a few 4L60s apart and there are so many things that can get screwed up. If you dont have the patience to take it back out of the car it something is wrong, then I wouldnt try it. The first 700R4 I rebuilt was out of the car twice to get it right LOL. Since then, I've learned a few things It was the input shaft sealing rings that got goofed up. I'm willing to bet the 1-2 shift problem isn't an internal problem, but a programming issue, or low fluid level.
Old 06-24-2004 | 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

I took mine apart a while ago and replaced the 3-4 clutch pack and a few other things. It wasn't too bad of a job. If you already have the trans out it's not too bad to take it apart.
Old 06-25-2004 | 05:09 PM
Teching In

are you sure that it is shifting into 2nd and not third gear? I rebuilt mine three weeks ago, the rebuild went well mostly common sense but the ATSG manual is wrong for the 1-2 piston diagram for the accumulator check with ALL DATA if you have access to it. Does your car shift into 4th because it can also be in the 2-4 band. this will make it seem that it is shifting into 2nd when you let off the gas but it is really going into 3rd. most people do not have access to tech one scan tool but iwas chasing a delayed 2nd gear shift and that was not the problem.

Quick Reply: DIY 4L60E rebuild possible??