Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter won't build rpm at the line like it used to. O-ring? Converter going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Converter won't build rpm at the line like it used to. O-ring? Converter going bad?

Okay so the car has an rpm lvl 6 trans and a Circle D triple disc 3400 stall built for boost.. The car used to rev up to around 2900rpm and launch like hell off the line. Now the car only Revs to about 2400 rpm and only cuts 1.8 60fts dead hooking. Only change was from a stock 5.7 to a forged 5.7 with turbo cam.

One thought from my tuner is that maybe an o-ring was torn on the input shaft when removing and reinstalling converter causing fluid to go in and is making the lock-up clutch partially engage or drag?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes we see aftermarket camshafts kill some low end power that's needed for footbraking a converter, building boost etc. You can play with the tune some to help down low, but we ultimately may need to do a stall change. While it's here, we can verify lockup clutch condition, but typically a torn or missing o-ring would cause slipping lockup when commanded, not a dragging clutch or unwanted apply.

-Brian
Old 02-10-2017, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea I'm wondering if now if its partially the camshaft and the brakes needing bled. The brakes def need bled so I'm thinking that may be a big part of the problem

Quick Reply: Converter won't build rpm at the line like it used to. O-ring? Converter going bad?