Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e p1870 code possible fixes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e p1870 code possible fixes

I just recently purchased or had built a new remanufactured stage 2 4l60e for my 97 Chevy K1500 Silverado on November 1st 2016 & received on November 14th. Had it installed in December and got it back on December 23rd. I have less than 1,000 miles on it and I keep getting the p1870 code, adjusted line pressure settings at 125miles on January 2nd and code went away. Code back at 315miles, 2weeks later on January 18th, reprogrammed PCM. Code back at 526miles, January 31. I was finally able the get it back in the shop on February 28th when my technician found faulty Transmission harness connector and replaced with another connector, and got my truck back from the shop on March 13th. No more issues until April 13 at about 1000miles on the new tranny. I have only driven it on the interstate 4 times since new connector was installed, and each time was for 10-15 miles, one town up to the next, and 2 of them were consecutively after truck sitting 6+hours. It sits more than I actually get to drive it. Another puzzling thing is allegedly the Transmission was Dyno tested before shipping to me after being built in November, but no proof of that occuring. However, if it were Dyno tested, shouldn't this issue have shown up? Reason I ask is because it popped the p1870 code the first time I drove it up the interstate here in the mountains of Western NC at 125miles, and I had driven it approximately 100miles around the country side before I took it on the interstate to get it at cruising speed above 55mph for more than 10miles. (I understand that it may have been originally caused by the faulty connector, but that's not the issue now). The guy who supposedly built the transmission in Florida says it's more than likely the Torque converter clutch solenoid valve. Technician who installed Transmission in my area of location says everything tested to be normal and all solenoids and valves are working properly and the Torque converter is showing no signs of Slipping on the monitor when he ran diagnostic tests. So my question is what could possibly be causing​ this p1870 trans component slipping code? I really don't want to have to send it back to Florida and wait another 4-6weeks to have another one built and shipped back to me at the cost of $400 shipping to and from, $200 return of old unit and $200 for replacement, everything else is covered by the 5yr/ 100,000 mile warranty, or so I was told by the email warranty paperwork. Well except for the $150 worth of Dex3 fluid, 14qts.
Anyway, any input would be helpful. I am taking it back to my technician on Monday morning to have him take a look at it and try diagnosing the issue again so I can hopefully get in touch with the original builder in hopes he will cover it under warranty as well as the labor. Also this is a list of what is supposed to be installed inside the stage 2 built 4L60E 4x4 transmission:
29-Element Forward Sprag
Aluminum Accumulator Pistons
Bearing Kit
Monster Sunshell
Complete Bushing Kit
Corvette Servo (D Ring Kit)
Filter
Heavy Duty 2-3 Shift Valve
High Energy Raybestos Clutch Pack
Master Reman Kit
New Friction Steels
New Solenoids
New Wire Harness
Red Eagle Wide Band
Rotor Kit (Pump)
Sonnax .500 Boost Valve
Sonnax 3-4 ISO Valve
Updated Accumulator Springs

STAGE 2 UPGRADE:
SONNAX 5 PINION PLANETARY GEAR-SET,
SONNAX FWD DRUM BILLET INPUT,
SONNAX SUPERHOLD (OD) SERVO,
SONNAX 3-4 Z-PACK,
Torque Converter:
(HD)BEARING TYPE 1400-1600 STALL woven fiber clutch material.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

The TCC valve bore could be wore. Sonnax makes a replacement valve that requires the valve body TCC bore to be reamed. The reaming tool is expensive but if you remove your valve body and bring it to ANY tranny shop they should be able to do it cheap.

As far as the tranny dyno, someone correct me if I am wrong but I do not think the tranny is ran with a converter in place on the dyno.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
The TCC valve bore could be wore. Sonnax makes a replacement valve that requires the valve body TCC bore to be reamed. The reaming tool is expensive but if you remove your valve body and bring it to ANY tranny shop they should be able to do it cheap.

As far as the tranny dyno, someone correct me if I am wrong but I do not think the tranny is ran with a converter in place on the dyno.
Thank you for your time and information. So far in my research the TCC VALVE p1870 fix seems to be the possible solution. I have found one on a site to order fairly inexpensive but the reaming tool is expensive, around $150. I will talk to my mechanic and try to get the builder to send me one and if not I will order it myself. I mentioned it to the builder back in January and he kept arguing with me saying​ it's supposed to shift hard, I couldn't get him to comprehend that I know it's supposed to shift hard compared to normal due to it being a Stage 2 build. I have had stage 2 plus in my old 85 z-28. I miss that car, besides the point. Anyway the builder kept saying if I didn't want it to shift hard he would send me the stock 1-2 &3-4. I said it was not the issue, issue is the valve sticking or leaking or TC clutch slipping. So we will see. Again thank you for your response. Happy Easter!
Old 04-16-2017, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a local reputable transmission shop do the reaming in my valve body and they charged like $10-15 a ream (I did 2 or 3 reamings in my valve body).

If you don't want to do the full blown fix for a worn TCC bore that retains PWM, you can do the simpler fix which is a special replacement valve that fixes the p1870 but deletes PWM. It just drops in, no reaming required.

It looks like this

Quick Reply: 4l60e p1870 code possible fixes