Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble removing 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trouble removing 4l60e

HI guys I need a little advice I am taking the 4l60e out of my 98 camaro I believe I have everything unhooked an unbolted I'm able to get a small gap an movement between trans an bellhousing but it just feels like it's stuck on something. . Any ideas on what I could have missed or do I need to put more as into it?....... the only issue I have is the trans dip stick is still half way in .. tomorrow I will have to lower the car on the lift an pull that dip stick the rest of the way
Old 04-18-2017, 03:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

You do not need to pull the dip stick out. Just loosen the bolt where it bolts to the head and when you get the tranny septated from the block when you drop it down it will slide out.

If the transmission has never been out or has not been out in a long it can be a bear to get it off the dowls.

You remove 8 bell housing bolts and 3 converter bolts correct?

If so just a little more muscle is needed. You will see at about 3 and 6 o'clock are the dowls, get a screwdriver in there prying going back and forth between each side.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK this makes a lot of sense .. correct all bolts have been removed an this transmission has never been removed. The 3 converter bolts as well.. and yes it seems like it's getting caught on the dowels OK I'll try prying on both dowels at the same time.. thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the trans out it was stuck on the pins.. thanks for the help you were spot on right.. do you have any links to installing transgo hd2 kit?

Quick Reply: Trouble removing 4l60e