Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilt 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt 4l60e

Just rebuilt my 99 chevy blazer 4l60e and reinstalled. When in gear, feels like brakes dragging. Pulled transfer case out and noticed tranny output shaft turns in neutral when vehicle is running, and trans fluid spurting out vent tube. I have all forward gears and reverse. Could this be a problem in the rebuild, if so, where to begin the search.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Too high of fluid level or trans too hot if fluid is coming out vent tube.
I would think output shaft of trans should spin in neutral.
If I'm wrong, I'm sure I will be corrected.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Output shaft should spin freely in both directions when in neutral
Old 11-09-2018, 01:29 PM

So my 95' silverado 1500 460le a few days ago while driving stop and go then on the highway got stuck in 3rd. Wasn't far from home, parked and next couple days it worked great. Well today I ran to town, 40 mins away, ran some errands, everything was fine, but leaving town i punched it to get around a guy and ever since, its stayed in 3rd. Pulled over ran through each gear, reverse, only 3rd n reverse would work. Made it home, crawled underneath and noticed, for the first time ever, tranny fluid spattered around. Found it was coming from the blow by/vent tube. Checked fluid level, idling, warm, etc. It has been a bit high but currently it's just a tad high. Barely above the hot notch. Trannys been acting up in recent months. Some slipping, not shifting into 1st. What I'm wondering is if maybe the vent leak and stuck in third are related, or point to something in particular that I could address to make it a little while longer? My truck is my lifeline and I cant quite afford a rebuild for another month or so. I mean any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Once you turn the engine off and then restart is it still stuck in 3rd gear? If not check for any stored codes in the PCM.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 547 Likes on 427 Posts

could be....
1) clutch clearances too tight, maybe you have too many steels in the over run clutch pack?
2) reverse input drum spring pack broken
3) 2-4 band is too tight
4) wrong valve body gaskets used

if you have no drive shaft connected and the trans is spinning in neutral, i'd expect that to be normal. The trans is in neutral, but fluid leaks in the whole system will cause crossleaks and bleed over into other circuits. What counts is if the vehicle is on the ground, in neutral and tries to move, that would be an issue.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bbond105
Once you turn the engine off and then restart is it still stuck in 3rd gear? If not check for any stored codes in the PCM.
Yea, after letting it sit for a couple hours I got in and drove but still stuck in 3rd. I can manually go into 1st n 2nd, and for a minute it pulls hard like it should, but after a minute it just feels like it's not fully engaged. Almost as if I were feathering a clutch.

No codes currently but engine light comes and goes. I'll see what codes I can get when they show up. No blown fuses either.

Quick Reply: rebuilt 4l60e