Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new converter an shift kit drove 30 mi now car wont move

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great, but are they going to pay to have the trans rebuilt since their POS took it down? I'm ordering a new converter next week for my new car. Crossing Yank off the list of companies I was considering.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As of now yank has not paid anything towards my converter I am waiting for them to talk to my trans builder an we will see if yank pays for anything as far as my transmission. . Yank was very apologetic about the issue an they are sending me a new one right away.. I guess the bearing blew apart. I would lobe it if yank would pay for stock rebuild cost or at least labor from taking trans out then back in
Old 06-06-2017, 03:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

just wanting to get your opinion.... should yank pay for what a stock rebuild would be?....I would not ask yank for anything if my trans builder said my trans was on its last leg ... but that's not the case. transmission shop said everything was perfectly fine with my transmission an the new yank converter had 30 miles bearing blew apart according to yank.. an now my transmission is filled with metal shavings..... again just looking to get everyone's opinion don't be shy to tell me no its not yanks problem I just want to no what ya think
Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're probably out of luck with Yank paying for any part of your transmission rebuild, even though it is their fault.

Stuff like this seems to fall in the "at your own risk" category unless you buy a whole transmission from a vendor AND have them install it. If not, they'll almost always be more than willing to send you a new -part- if their part caused the failure, but you're out the labor and all the other parts that were damaged when the failure occurred.

Honestly, it's a policy I understand even though it results in a shitty situation sometimes for the end user. With multiple different businesses/people involved, it's hard to really pinpoint the blame a lot of the time and if every time a transmission broke after work was done on it, how do you determine who pays up? Here, it's obvious that Yank was at fault and they admit to it (which is impressive, usually there's a lot of finger pointing). But in many cases it's not so clear cut as to a part going bad, bad installation, faulty end user adjustments, tune, driving badly, etc. It seems most places have, for simplicity, the policy that unless the transmission was only touched by their hands, they aren't paying for a rebuild.

That said, and I've never dealt with Yank, they're very highly regarded on here (which is probably why you bought from them) and you were just the unlucky one out of a thousand who got a bad converter. Nobody's perfect, you're out a lot of money/time, and it sucks. I'm sorry for your loss. The best I can suggest is that since you have to rebuild it, take this as an opportunity to build a badass transmission.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay good info and correct Dave at yank called and said 100% bad converter.. I am waiting to hear from them hoping he will atlas cover some labor ..give me something lol .. I just saved in my secret stash for a year to buy his 800 dollar converter only to receive a bad one install it then ruin my trans.. yes bad situation
Old 06-22-2017, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK here is the final update.. the bearing went bad in the yank converter which filled the transmission with shavings I pulled the transmission took it to a reputable performance trans Builder and rebuilt the transmission.. Dave at yank converters was awesome he sent me a new converter ASAP and he also states that this never happens with the converters so yank stepped up an helped me with the financial issue of paying for the transmission rebuild I have to say that there are not many companies out there that will stand behind their product like yank did and went
above and beyond to make it right
Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! That is awesome.
Instead of saying "nothings wrong" with the converter, they actually told you!
They could have very well said that and you/we would have no idea.
It does say a lot about them.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes.. I have trans back in car everything so far so good.. 50 miles
Old 06-22-2017, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 kudos to Yank

this is why they are THE goto converter maker.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:01 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I am glad to hear they helped you out on this. Good....

Quick Reply: new converter an shift kit drove 30 mi now car wont move