Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission or rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transmission or rear end?

Ok, So I'm having the following problem I've had it for a while now. Whenever I accelerate past 40 MPH I get whine and when I stop accelerating it whines for a sec and stops. it gets more noticeable when the truck gets warmer. Usually I would think its the pinion preload but my preload is set to 21 lbft. I had the same problem with my previous rear end, and a new one didnt fix it.

Side note my 4l60E bellhousing is leaking quite a bit, so am curious if it could be caused by the transmission, its also noticeable going downhill when going past 40 without accelerating.

Its this exact whine, but their problem was bad pinion preload, mine is set to 20-21 so I doubt it can be that. I triple checked it before putting my rear end back together.

forgot to add, mine is all through the range after 40, theirs is specific to 40 50 range. Its been like that with my new and previous rear end.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I would go with rear ended...also, is that a brake light on your dash?
What is the Amber light?
Old 05-27-2017, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Oh no that was a demo video I found on youtube, I don't have any codes or lights. Sounds about the same as mine. His problem was a loose pinion nut, Mine is set to roughly 21 ft lb, spec is 16-20 some people even set them as high as 25 ft lb. That's what I don't get. mine is technically within spec.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Both my rears made that sound. My stock 10 bolt did it off the showroom floor. Brought it to the dealer many times but they could not make it go away. 9" does it as well, hopefully when i swap gears for FI my shop can quiet them down. Its really annoying!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Once I turn the A/C mid setting on or radio I can't even tell its there, I can only tell when my windows are up and my a/c is barely on. It's annoying but not the end of the world. I think the video is a bit louder than mine.

In another note, my current transmission has 22k miles on it since its last rebuild or so I was told when I bought the truck from a friend. Its leaking quite a bit in the front bell housing area, would you guys replace the pump or get the tranny rebuilt instead? I can get a rebuilt pump for about 200 bucks, and slap it in my self and call it a day. or would you just get a rebuilt tranny, everything is stock atm. I feel I can get away with just a new pump since the tranny has fairly low miles. I'm suspecting whoever installed it didn't do it right.

Quick Reply: transmission or rear end?