Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 locking up wheels in drive, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Th400 locking up wheels in drive, need help.

hey guys, finally got my project car driving and seem to be having a issue with the th400 i rebuilt a few months ago (first time)
just a couple hours ago i went and drove it for the first time and in drive around 10-15mph the trans randomly locks up for a second then goes back to normal...if i manually go down to 1st or 2nd it doesnt do it. i only went around the block a few times cause i didnt want to hurt anything.. any ideas what am i dealing with here?

I did tons of research and used an instruction book when rebuilding it and everything went together pretty good, the valve body gave us a little trouble but eventually figured that one out.
It has all new alto red clutches, seals and bands. the trans is stock except has the 4l80e drum with 34 sprag and a trans-go SS shift kit..

any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

little update for others that may have this problem in the future, it ended up being the sprag on the direct drum was indeed backwards. luckily it did not break because i was gentle on the first initial drive. I was able to just flip it over, and put the trans back together. went for a drive and everything is fine now!

Quick Reply: Th400 locking up wheels in drive, need help.