Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission problems, need advice.

Long story short my 460LE has lost 3rd and 4th gear. I have done enough research to see that it's likely the 3/4 clutch.

What I need help with is deciding how to proceed and what to research. Should I look into getting the transmission rebuilt or should I just replace it with something else?

My thoughts are that with sponsors on this site I could just replace it with a something higher performance, add in a stall converter, change the gearing in the differential and then get it all tuned up all for about the same price as a local shop would want to rebuild.

I would love to hear opinions from those who have done it one way or the other and learned what they should have done.

I'm not bothered but throwing money at the car I just feel better about know that it will be bulletproof when I am done. I am 99% sure the prior owner sold it so cheap because of this transmission and I know he had it in for a lot of high dollar work on the transmission before.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I would buy from one of the sponsors. Most local shops are only going to give you a stock or something they call high performance. Before someone starts jumping on me for saying this. Yes there are some local shops that know what they are doing, but how is one to know until after they have your money and you’re sitting on the side of the road? One other thing, most good stall converters run around $800 and when the transmission goes out most of the time the converter has to be cut open and cleaned. The sponsors on here deal with high performance transmissions every day and give a good warranty.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

One more thing. What is your power level? Anything over 500 to 550 rwhp and you may want to look into installing a 4L80E.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would say get one from a sponsor "shameless plug" but seriously give us a call we most certainly have something to fit your needs in anything from out level 1-2-3 to our BLACK EDITION http://performabuilt.com/blackedition.html In the 4l60e just give us a call in the 888 number in signature,

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Transmission problems, need advice.