Sponsored by:

6L80E + PCS GSM-5000 Shifter + Paddles

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 6L80E + PCS GSM-5000 Shifter + Paddles

Anybody done this successfully?

A friend is trying to set one up, he has the GM 376 crate motor with 6L80E and is using the PCS GSM-5000 with paddle shifter. Nothing but problems so far! He asked me to take a look, it seems like the instructions are a little "thin" as is nothing in the manual on:

6L80E detents (he finally called and was told to use two: P,R,N,D,M). Has to in "M" to shift manually.

6L80 "pulses per mile", earlier tranny shafts are 40 per (shaft) revolution. Need to crunch some numbers to get to "per mile". Is 40/rev correct for the 6L80?

To use CAN or not to use CAN. One place in the manual says pick one or the other, another place says use both in order to get full functionality on the paddle shifter display.

Before I got there, the cable shifter box (GSM) quit working, it's got power and ground at the box's connector. From what I can tell, shifting is controlled by CAN output from the pushbutton panel (or paddles), neither of which do anything. Box is going back for a checkup.

From what I can see, there's no connection between this shifter electronics and the engine's PCM, correct?

Tech guy @ PCS told us the trans won't do much until the engine is running (trans pump working), are we just pi$$ing in the wind trying to get this thing set up before the engine is running?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have this shifter in my Chevelle but without paddle shifters and display. Iirc all it needed from the car was speed signal and brake switch. It will not shift without seeing brake pedal, and will say so on the shifter display. Make sure to follow proper calibration procedure for all the gears.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 12SEC SS
I have this shifter in my Chevelle but without paddle shifters and display. Iirc all it needed from the car was speed signal and brake switch. It will not shift without seeing brake pedal, and will say so on the shifter display. Make sure to follow proper calibration procedure for all the gears.
Thanks! So you have your calibration (Speed: 4SP) menu set to CAN and not GSM? That's about the only way I can figure it goes without needing to crunch a bunch of numbers. We thought about removing the paddle stuff and adding it back after getting the shifter module to work...
Attached Thumbnails 6L80E + PCS GSM-5000 Shifter + Paddles-gsm.jpg  
Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have a PCS transmission controller? To my understanding thats why you would use CAN. i wired speedometer output from my PCM and the brake switch, did calibration procedure and that was it. No other settings. Shifter is stand alone in my car
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

No PCS controller, straight GM ECM plus GSM controller. I'm currently looking for the PDF for his engine/trans package to see what's involved. E-mailed Pace for their instruction sheet, he may have ordered the wrong GSM. Pace shows 5005 for non-PCS control, he bought the 5000...

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: 6L80E + PCS GSM-5000 Shifter + Paddles