Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L70E Build for TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Sooooo... that billet input shaft didn't come with the check ball or retaining clip (possibly called a capsule). Does anyone know where to source this/these parts from?

Sort of looks like this:

Last edited by mOtOrHeAd MiKe; 10-23-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

GM part# 8685839. You can get it at a local GM dealer or trans parts retailer. Knowing the part number is half the battle with brain dead counter personnel.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

Originally Posted by clinebarger
GM part# 8685839. You can get it at a local GM dealer or trans parts retailer. Knowing the part number is half the battle with brain dead counter personnel.
Very much appreciated! I passed it along this morning... this should be the last piece to the puzzle before this thing starts going back together.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dropped the Sonnax Performance Pack off today (sent back the incorrect Sure Cure kit that Summit sent me and the Sonnax Smart Shell (as there was already one in the transmission from RPM)). We have settled on GPZ clutches; and the unit is being assembled (I really have to get better at taking timely photos)

One thing that has me perplexed is that this transmission was ordered from RPM for a 2007 Trailblazer, yet they installed a Trans Go 46-PLT-96 separator plate ('96-06 4L60Es) and it has a 2005 MY valvebody. As I understand it the 2007/2008 4L70E has a more bespoke plate and valve body.

The shop obtained a 46-PLT-07 separator plate to have a fresh unit to work with as we are replacing the Trans Go shift kit for the Sonnax Performance Pack - at this point I am wondering if it is worth getting an '07 valve body too? Or is there a benefit to backdating these parts?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

First, sorry that I did not participate in this thread; I'm just getting back to ls1tech after taking the summer off for numerous track events (road course racing) and keeping 4 cars track-ready for myself, my wife and "24 Hours of Lemons" team racing.

Obviously clinebarger has given you excellent advise, as always.
My only difference would be to suggest a billet 13 vane pump; Chuck (owner) at Finish Line Transmission can hook you up with one; less than $100.
And I also think that the GPZ frictions are equal to the BW HD ones; I have used them successfully and I know a bunch of members here have used them too.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe

One thing that has me perplexed is that this transmission was ordered from RPM for a 2007 Trailblazer, yet they installed a Trans Go 46-PLT-96 separator plate ('96-06 4L60Es) and it has a 2005 MY valvebody. As I understand it the 2007/2008 4L70E has a more bespoke plate and valve body.

The shop obtained a 46-PLT-07 separator plate to have a fresh unit to work with as we are replacing the Trans Go shift kit for the Sonnax Performance Pack - at this point I am wondering if it is worth getting an '07 valve body too? Or is there a benefit to backdating these parts?
**2001 to 2008 valve bodies are functionally the same. A generalization but applies to this discussion.
The only difference in the spacer plate is a extra Actuator Feed Limit slot to feed the EPC Solenoid. I have mixed & matched the 2 style spacer plates with each other....Not a functional difference that I have detected!

**2007 Plate Detail (Includes M33 Hybrid) Doesn't show the extra AFL hole.
4L70E Build for TBSS-6ybi991.gif

2009 Plate detail...Shows the extra AFL hole.
4L70E Build for TBSS-5hrdmqc.gif

2004 GM Corvette replacement spacer plate....Has the extra hole (yellow)
4L70E Build for TBSS-pf1wp7r.jpg
Old 10-28-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrvedit
First, sorry that I did not participate in this thread; I'm just getting back to ls1tech after taking the summer off for numerous track events (road course racing) and keeping 4 cars track-ready for myself, my wife and "24 Hours of Lemons" team racing.

Obviously clinebarger has given you excellent advise, as always.
My only difference would be to suggest a billet 13 vane pump; Chuck (owner) at Finish Line Transmission can hook you up with one; less than $100.
And I also think that the GPZ frictions are equal to the BW HD ones; I have used them successfully and I know a bunch of members here have used them too.

Good luck and keep us posted.
No worries, we all have lives to live outside of the intrawebz.

We definitely planned on putting a 13 vane unit back in, just not sure if it was billet or not? I know the builder deals with TCS out of BC, Canada - so I may ask him to order one of these: http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/...ne-pump-rotor/ Because shipping, customs, duty, taxes, exchange rate, etc are all killers for us up here. Otherwise I'll touch base with FLT.

Thanks! This is a very exciting process - I know the builder has been fairly open to the information/suggestions I have provided from the folks here and by my own research. I think it is unusual for this shop to have a customer so engaged in the process.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

**2001 to 2008 valve bodies are functionally the same. A generalization but applies to this discussion.
The only difference in the spacer plate is a extra Actuator Feed Limit slot to feed the EPC Solenoid. I have mixed & matched the 2 style spacer plates with each other....Not a functional difference that I have detected!

**2007 Plate Detail (Includes M33 Hybrid) Doesn't show the extra AFL hole.

2009 Plate detail...Shows the extra AFL hole.

2004 GM Corvette replacement spacer plate....Has the extra hole (yellow)

Fantastic! I will pass this along too. It is a relief to know that there is little consequence in alternating the parts.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Contacted FLT and they will not sell me a billet pump rotor. We are looking to TCS to help... maybe.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:37 PM

Contacted FLT and they will not sell me a billet pump rotor. We are looking to TCS to help... maybe.
Sorry to hear that; I ask Chuck why that is. Perhaps because you are in Canada?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ckperformance.com/View/4L...LET-PUMP-ROTOR
Old 10-31-2017, 08:59 PM

Sooooo... that billet input shaft didn't come with the check ball or retaining clip (possibly called a capsule). Does anyone know where to source this/these parts from?
If you haven't yet purchased the check ball, I wouldn't bother. Its only purpose is to soften the engagement of the TCC (or it to soften the dis-engagement).
I didn't install it in my billet input shaft and I know some mechanics even remove it from the stock shaft.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dropped by the shop today and they finally got the right 3/4 clutches in after supplier sent the wrong parts (nice little setback). Anyway, there are 9 clutches in there now. We also decided to order a billet 13 vane pump rotor from TCS. The main reason I had to stop in was to drop off my virgin 4L70E so they can extract the valvebody - it eliminates any guesswork about mods done by RPM. Shame to kill a perfectly good unit - but better safe than sorry. I also picked up the pan so that I can weld a drain plug into it.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

The main reason I had to stop in was to drop off my virgin 4L70E so they can extract the valvebody - it eliminates any guesswork about mods done by RPM.
You could have reused the RPM Valve Body & Plate.....Then added the Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve & the pinless Forward Accumulator Piston, These are the only 2 changes the performance pack makes to the valve body & are of no effect to the power handling of the transmission.

Oh....And the Accumulator Valve Spring Shim, Throw that thing away!!

The RPM Valve Body probably has the 3-2 valve blocked inboard, I already stated that but I will again because it's important to a performance 4L60E build no matter what Sonnax thinks.

It probably also had a High Rev spring kit in the Input Drum.....Did they get reinstalled?

I understand that RPM treated you poorly, But your converter caused this issue NOT how the trans was built......Or at least I haven't seen anything yet?

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could have reused the RPM Valve Body & Plate.....Then added the Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve & the pinless Forward Accumulator Piston, These are the only 2 changes the performance pack makes to the valve body & are of no effect to the power handling of the transmission.

Oh....And the Accumulator Valve Spring Shim, Throw that thing away!!

The RPM Valve Body probably has the 3-2 valve blocked inboard, I already stated that but I will again because it's important to a performance 4L60E build no matter what Sonnax thinks.

It probably also had a High Rev spring kit in the Input Drum.....Did they get reinstalled?

I understand that RPM treated you poorly, But your converter caused this issue NOT how the trans was built......Or at least I haven't seen anything yet?

Good luck!
I hear you. I dropped off a bunch of documentation Friday last week from this site and my own research, and will do the same with these points. Before I accept that trans I will ensure these points were adhered to; and if not with a reason. Thanks!

I firmly believe that the builder just wants to feel confident in knowing what he has vs. what another shop may, or may not, have done. And since I am not made of money - buying another VB vs. using the one I have makes sense to me. To this same end I can transfer all of the left over parts from the RPM trans (VB, shift kit, servos, accumulators, etc) into the other unit and sell it as-is (still recommending that it get a soft rebuild). Yes, it seems like an extra step - but it is what it is.

I do believe that the High Rev springs were supposed to be carried over. But, will confirm. I know the hardened pump rings were transferred to the new pump.

I am done poo-pooing on RPM Transmissions - they handled it poorly and I am leaving it at that. I spoke with Dave at Yank about this earlier this week and we had a very civilized conversation. You could tell he was expecting it to degrade into an accusational yelling match; which it didn't. I assured him that I was only offering information and an opportunity to get answers on what let go in the TC. He generously offered me a significant discount if we found that it was an internal failure in the TC locally (granted shipping it back to them from Canada was a nonstarter for me). I appreciated the sentiment and made it clear I wasn't looking for compensation.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

We are looking into this. MTF.

Just out of curiousity is this not essentially the same thing? https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2460-fo...buse-bore-plug

Confirmed it was moved over.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not go 80e? My 70e broke on the wife goin to get groceries lol. Purchased a junk yard $160 80e to replace it with. After i dont know how many 200 shot hit and 1yr pf abuse its still going strong. Even blowed the original ls2 up in front of it.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
Why not go 80e? My 70e broke on the wife goin to get groceries lol. Purchased a junk yard $160 80e to replace it with. After i dont know how many 200 shot hit and 1yr pf abuse its still going strong. Even blowed the original ls2 up in front of it.
As I mentioned before the truck is AWD and is going to stay that way (because Canadian winters demand it). The 4L80E conversion is cost prohibitive by comparison - I've done the math. I acknowledge the 4L70E is limited if raced and abused, and if I stop doing that it shouldn't be an issue.

That being said, I bought a low mileage 4L80E immediately after the Yank/RPM combo was damaged - before accepting I really wanted AWD.

The 4L80E can go in the station wagon.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol yea i wouldnt waist it. Just figured i would put my .2 cents in.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
Lol yea i wouldnt waist it. Just figured i would put my .2 cents in.
No harm done. It is a valid point, and if viable the recommended course of action. If this truck was 2WD it would already have an 80E in it.

Quick Reply: 4L70E Build for TBSS