Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th475 behind a turbo 4.8 help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th475 behind a turbo 4.8 help

So I have a stock th475, it looks to have a transgo kit in it but I ordered another one just in case. My questions are as follows and please forgive my ignorance, I usually use 80es so the 3 speed life is new to me. It has the vacuum mod on the side, do I need to hook that up with a check valve inline or do I just run it straight to the intake? Also the car does not have very lofty goals, it's your basic gen 4 4.8 with a ls9 cam, pac springs and a 7665 turbo. Only shooting for around 500ish at the tire. I'm going to be using the PTC that came with it. It has a 3500 stall. Should I be looking at upgrading the clutch packs or should I leave it alone? It's going in a 83 Fairmont so it isn't necessarily a heavy car or anything. What would you guys recommend I do to keep this transmission in one piece? Any tips or tricks? Or just do the transgo kit and let it rip.

Thanks for all the help
Old 11-03-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cosbysweater
So I have a stock th475, it looks to have a transgo kit in it but I ordered another one just in case. My questions are as follows and please forgive my ignorance, I usually use 80es so the 3 speed life is new to me. It has the vacuum mod on the side, do I need to hook that up with a check valve inline or do I just run it straight to the intake? Also the car does not have very lofty goals, it's your basic gen 4 4.8 with a ls9 cam, pac springs and a 7665 turbo. Only shooting for around 500ish at the tire. I'm going to be using the PTC that came with it. It has a 3500 stall. Should I be looking at upgrading the clutch packs or should I leave it alone? It's going in a 83 Fairmont so it isn't necessarily a heavy car or anything. What would you guys recommend I do to keep this transmission in one piece? Any tips or tricks? Or just do the transgo kit and let it rip.

Thanks for all the help
Subbed. I'd say you should be fine with the standard clutch packs on all 3. Input and intermediate shafts should be fine as well at that level, as far as the check valve....im not sure....but it would seem like you would need one on a boosted car. I want to say I've seen it said that it is necessary. I have a 400 in my car but it's rmvb, so I'm subbed to see someone with actual experience with a truly automatic hydramatic on a boosted car.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone???

Quick Reply: Th475 behind a turbo 4.8 help