Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make a stock 4L60E survive high hp/track

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I'd like to apologize to every knowledgeable poster on the forum...I pointed bortous towards performabuilt to buy a 60e cuz he "had to have one"
In doing so...I've created the biggest nut rider and thread de-railer in a long time.
This guy now "knows" (even though he has never ran their unit yet) that performabuilt black edition 60e is THE trans for EVERY build in ALL setups.
yes...its a nice unit...yes performabuilt are nice guys...but geez i've never seen anyone ride nuts so hard
You're fired!!!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 462 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I'd like to apologize to every knowledgeable poster on the forum...I pointed bortous towards performabuilt to buy a 60e cuz he "had to have one"
In doing so...I've created the biggest nut rider and thread de-railer in a long time.
This guy now "knows" (even though he has never ran their unit yet) that performabuilt black edition 60e is THE trans for EVERY build in ALL setups.
yes...its a nice unit...yes performabuilt are nice guys...but geez i've never seen anyone ride nuts so hard
Give it a rest you tosser.
You are that arrogant that you think you know better than performabuilt or anyone else on here.
And now here you are saying it's a nice unit when in your previous posts you were saying they are full of ****.
It's quite amusing you say I ride nuts so hard and yet here you are riding nuts about me.
I wasn't aware that you are my biggest fan.
Should I be flattered or worried?
Also, stop twisting my words around about what I write in my posts.
It's downright rude and unprofessional.
Grow up
Old 07-02-2019, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
We will let you slide on this one due to your years of helpful info on here. But if it happens again your getting the ban. lol jk man bortous is hilarious though.
Thanks man.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
Thanks man.
I don't think he meant hilarious in a good way. We aren't laughing WITH you.....
Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Le's get a few things clear everyone.
The 4L65E is a transmission for those who do not want to do a conversion to a 4L80e or use a TH400.
Anything up to 1000rwhp the 4L65E can handle it although many do not believe it or have had any experience with this.
I have spoken to 4 people who have this have got very positive things to say about this transmission.
It is not for everyone. It depends on application and power level.
For me having 4 gears with overdrive is important so it drives nicely on the street.
The transmission that came with my vehicle is a 4L65E so the convenience of bolting in a new unit is very attractive.
A TH400 or a 4L80e is something I want to avoid for weight penalty and having one less gear.
If it was a dedicated drag car I would certainly go with a different transmission.
Show me some understanding.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Game ova
I don't think he meant hilarious in a good way. We aren't laughing WITH you.....
You obviously don't get sarcasm.
Please continue laughing.
I'm actually laughing at you too most likely for other reasons.

Last edited by bortous; 07-02-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,254 Likes on 804 Posts

see guys...i'm sorry
Old 07-03-2019, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,250 Likes on 874 Posts

Le's get a few things clear everyone.
The 4L65E is a transmission for those who do not want to do a conversion to a 4L80e or use a TH400.
Anything up to 1000rwhp the 4L65E can handle it although many do not believe it or have had any experience with this.
I have spoken to 4 people who have this have got very positive things to say about this transmission.
It is not for everyone. It depends on application and power level.
For me having 4 gears with overdrive is important so it drives nicely on the street.
The transmission that came with my vehicle is a 4L65E so the convenience of bolting in a new unit is very attractive.
A TH400 or a 4L80e is something I want to avoid for weight penalty and having one less gear.
If it was a dedicated drag car I would certainly go with a different transmission.
Show me some understanding.
Bortous,

Obviously, building the 60 series transmission to this power level is doable...
I have built and sold quite a few... But I sell them as a "BAD INVESTMENT OPTION" to the owner.

The bottom line is that, the 60 series transmission is "at the end of it's rope" at this power level, and is much more expensive than a stronger, more viable transmission series (80) that will require far less "maintenance/ refresh".
So unless the vehicle has to retain a transmission type for a class of racing or for restoration purposes... (Example, I will build 1,000 HP THM200-4R Transmissions for Buick Grand Nationals) There is no point in building the 60 series to this extreme...
The 3L80 or 4L80E is stronger, more viable, and less expensive at this power level and should be considered over the 60 series for the 1,000 HP mark and beyond. It just makes sense!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
Bortous,

I have built and sold quite a few... But I sell them as a "BAD INVESTMENT OPTION" to the owner.

The bottom line is that, the 60 series transmission is "at the end of it's rope" at this power level, and is much more expensive than a stronger, more viable transmission series (80) that will require far less "maintenance/ refresh".
So unless the vehicle has to retain a transmission type for a class of racing or for restoration purposes... (Example, I will build 1,000 HP THM200-4R Transmissions for Buick Grand Nationals) There is no point in building the 60 series to this extreme...
The 3L80 or 4L80E is stronger, more viable, and less expensive at this power level and should be considered over the 60 series for the 1,000 HP mark and beyond. It just makes sense!
Well said, now can we get back on track with OP thread.

Last edited by bbond105; 07-04-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
Bortous,

I agree the 4L 80e is cheaper to build and can handle more power.
However the weight penalty of this transmission will ruin my handling as it's significantly heavier than the 4L60e.
How does the 4L80 E drive on road in every day traffic in terms of responsiveness and gear changes compared to the 4L60e?
If both units have been fully rebuilt with quality parts.
Does the 4L80E make the vehicle feel like a truck?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree the 4L 80e is cheaper to build and can handle more power.
However the weight penalty of this transmission will ruin my handling as it's significantly heavier than the 4L60e.
How does the 4L80 E drive on road in every day traffic in terms of responsiveness and gear changes compared to the 4L60e?
If both units have been fully rebuilt with quality parts.
Does the 4L80E make the vehicle feel like a truck?
If you have a street driven vehicle that weighs over 3,000 Lbs; than the difference in transmission weight (40 Lbs) and drivability is completely indiscernible.
Unless you are a driver that has amazing muscle memory for retaining the vehicle speeds and engine speeds that coincide with every gear change for a given throttle percentage... You Will NEVER Know It Is A Different Transmission. Lmao!
Even if you did... you would only attribute that, to having different gear ratios with slightly different corresponding engine RPM for a given gear selection and vehicle speed.
There is NOTHING at all that alludes towards the experience of driving a massive truck! :-) (Unless you use the OEM converter that is huge and weighs a ton).

Most drivers who know next to nothing of the inner-workings of an automatic transmission; will experience the placebo effect of having a stronger transmission in the vehicle, in which some kind of euphoric effect takes over...
The same kind of thing, as when some dude gets his oil changed after way too long... then decides to spend the extra money on a synthetic oil change service... Now he thinks his engine runs soo much better all of a sudden and the HP has magically doubled! LMAO!

I keep realizing... Without Dumb-Asses the world simply would not go around.

Last edited by vorteciroc; 07-03-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

After looking at the transmission gear ratios is it correct to say that the 4L80E will sit around 200rpm higher when in overdrive due to the 0.75 ratio?
Old 07-04-2019, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Give or Take... yes.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

I wish someone was local that had a nasty setup with a stock 4l60e so I could tune it and see how long it lived...
Old 07-04-2019, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I wish someone was local that had a nasty setup with a stock 4l60e so I could tune it and see how long it lived...
Two hits behind a turbo motor that's making diesel like torque, it will be hulled.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Two hits behind a turbo motor that's making diesel like torque, it will be hulled.
Doubtful. A stalled cammed blown LS is plenty of torque and it survived.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Doubtful. A stalled cammed blown LS is plenty of torque and it survived.
Was that blown LS making 8-900lb/ft? Would be amazing to see a stone stock 60E not puke after a couple of hits, especially since many of these "built" "special edition" units around here, shell out after a short period of time.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Was that blown LS making 8-900lb/ft? Would be amazing to see a stone stock 60E not puke after a couple of hits, especially since many of these "built" "special edition" units around here, shell out after a short period of time.
So 799-899 is weak but 800-900 is "amazing" 🙄 My setup flat out should have killed it and by many peoples own admission, stock 4L60Es can't handle a mildly modified Bolton car that's raced. Per your earlier posts in this thread, you agree that there's something to my theory on how to keep it alive. Of course their is a limit to ANYTHING mechanical. I'd like to tune someone who has a monster setup local and follow this sticky and see how long it lasts.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

So 799-899 is weak but 800-900 is "amazing" 🙄 My setup flat out should have killed it and by many peoples own admission, stock 4L60Es can't handle a mildly modified Bolton car that's raced. Per your earlier posts in this thread, you agree that there's something to my theory on how to keep it alive. Of course their is a limit to ANYTHING mechanical. I'd like to tune someone who has a monster setup local and follow this sticky and see how long it lasts.
Had to go back and check, but didn't say, or even allude to the saying that "799-899 was weak, but 8-900 was amazing". I will admit though, I'd LOVE to see the experiment. A stock 60E, behind a garden variety LS turbo mill, 7-800rwhp, and around the same torque wise, with whatever tune. And most any transmission will last for years and years, as long as the vehicle stays put in the garage. Or creeped around gingerly on the street.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Had to go back and check, but didn't say, or even allude to the saying that "799-899 was weak, but 8-900 was amazing". I will admit though, I'd LOVE to see the experiment. A stock 60E, behind a garden variety LS turbo mill, 7-800rwhp, and around the same torque wise, with whatever tune. And most any transmission will last for years and years, as long as the vehicle stays put in the garage. Or creeped around gingerly on the street.
obviously a garage queen would defeat the purpose of what I want to do. Just need someone who has the build and is ok if the trans blows up

Quick Reply: How to make a stock 4L60E survive high hp/track